cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Exporting Spools?

cworthington
1-Newbie

Exporting Spools?

Hi All,

When we create a harness and create new spools (Bundle coverings, conduits, tubes etc.) is there a way to save these to a location so they can be used in other harness?

Or what is the correct way of creating them to be used in different harness etc,?

6 REPLIES 6
BillF
13-Aquamarine
(To:cworthington)

Are you running the light version or the licensed version?

In the licensed version, you put everything in the central catalog (aka library) where it can be used by all designs.

If you're looking to save them out from the cabling assembly, go to the spools menu manager, select Write, then select the spools you want to save out.

This will export them to the working directory, and you'll be able to read them into a different cabling assembly by selecting Read from the spools menu manager and selecting the spools you want to read in.

Hi guys,

The issue seems to be that you can only save out the bundle name of the spool? not the actual spool.

So when you try to use the spool more than once, it says you can not as it already exists.

So for instance we have Conduit "NC_12" this is a standard conduit used all over harness.

You call a bundle say "B1" and put on it the NC_12. When you save the spool, its saves as "B1" not the NC_12.

Something doesn't sound quite right there.

So I would normally name my spool "NC_12", then when I create my bundle I would give it the name B1, B2, B3 etc.

Then during the bundle creation select "NC_12" as the spool to use for the bundle.

Where is the setting that sets where the spool is written too?

They're written out to the working directory, or if you're connected to windchill they'll be output to the workspace.

If you're re-using within a harness though you don't have to write out the spools.

Top Tags