cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Freeform cable routing

EvanK
1-Newbie

Freeform cable routing

Hello All,

I am new to Creo, but proficient in WF3 (but obviously not this aspect.) I need to model the cabling under a locomotive (see jpeg) and am wondering what is the best way to do this. Is there some way to take an end and drag it. I've tried warp but am not sure of the techniques required. I don't have the cabling module either. Any help would be appreciated.

Evan K

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2
TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:EvanK)

I usually settle for basic simple techniques whenever possible. In this case, a lot of sketches for the straight runs. From there you can attach 3D curves using datum curves. You can control the ends for tangency. Then you have a curves to generate a sweep for the cables.

Creo's splines curves are not very powerful but for the project you are looking at here, it is manageable.

I have gone as far as lining up 2 or 3 planar sketches to avoid the datum splines. This just means a lot of very dependent datum planes. Another method would include a lot of points strewn about. No matter what, it isn't pretty on the modeling side.

But, if you want a simple model in the end, and you've done all the hard work... you can export the cables and re-import them. Now you have dumb solids, but a very clean model. It all depends on how important your computing resources are and how large this project is in total.

...and you can also explore "pipes" which routes through points; not as powerful as sweep but may fit the bill.

Top Tags