cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Help with Creo Schematic

mpatel-2
1-Newbie

Help with Creo Schematic

Hi Everyone,

I am using Creo Schematic tool for the first time. I have gone through the tutorial on creating new project.

I have started working on a wiring diagram project but have few question and some issues that I can't find solution on the web. Please see them listed below:

1. When I create a new project it asks me to use
    template design “C:\Program Files (x86)\PTC\Creo
    3.0\M010\Schematics\creoschematics\demodb.rsd”, if I don’t select this then I
    don’t see any components in “Catalog Explorer”, Is there a way to manually set
    the path to symbol library??
  2. Assigning colours to Wires doesn’t work
  3. How to make visible symbol property such as Vendor,
    Vendor PN and Reference Designator?
  4. Please also show me how to import custom schematic page Border Outline
    and title block
  5. Also, I had issue setting correct GRID, it was
    difficult to get smooth wire connection (ended up having “steps” in the single
    wire),
  6. I tried to export XML report for the test project to import it to Solid works but didn’t work?? Please see attached XML
    file. The design has few open nodes.

Can someone help?

Thanks,

Mitul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Mitul

1) See http://help.ptc.com/creo_hc/creo30_schem_hc/usascii/index.html#page/schematics/schematics_hc/About_Central_Catalogs.html

2) Good

3) Set the label to be report Name. Name_format defines the format of the Name

4) The grid setting is totally up to you. You can either use the default settings or you can define your own grid setting

thanks

Jim

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
aoler
9-Granite
(To:mpatel-2)

1. The only library that comes with Creo Schematics is the one included in the demodb. You will need to create your own library of symbols and datatables. There are companies out there that has libraries for sale that you can look into. Typically your company will have its own requirements as to what information is on the drawing and needs to be included in the library symbols so even after purchasing a library if that is your choice some customization may be required to fully meet your needs.
  2. There are a couple ways to set the color of a fiber. Setting the color property of the fiber will not change its physical appearance on the drawing, this can be set by selecting the fiber and then using the color palette to change its color or by selecting a color on the fiber shape.
  3. Labels are used to show component properties on a drawing. The labels are smart and will update if/when the property changes. Select the object, and then choose the label icon to drop a label down for that particular instance. You can also open the catalog shape and add a label to it so that every time the object is placed the label comes with it.
  4. Create a new sheet template in the catalog explorer and import a DXF file. You can then add Sheet labels to your template of the sheet properties so that when these properties are filled out on each sheet they will populate your title block.
  5. Set the grid spacing to match the spacing of your library components. I try to set all of my components on a .25 spacing and then keep my grid set the same.
  6. I have never used Solid Works. Exporting the xml to Creo Parametric Cabling works great. I would imagine that XML export to Solid Works is not supported but that would be a question you would have to ask PTC and Solid Works.
mpatel-2
1-Newbie
(To:aoler)

Hi Aron,

Thanks for the reply.

1. ".rsd" is a "routed system Design" file, so I believe this a schematic design project file. could you please tell me what is the symbol library file extension and location? I'll do some more search on how to add a purchased symbol library to a design project, but if you have a web link handy then please share it with me.

2. I have clicked on Fiber to select it, then from the Diagramming tab selected color palette in "Modify" option, selected desired then clicked OK but the color is not changed. Have also tried changing color by right clicking the fiber and selecting desired color "Shape" tab. Just for the reference , tried changing "Label" color as well but no success.

3. Thanks, I have tried adding manufacturer's name and Reference designator and it works. But could you please tell me how to auto increment the reference designator everytime I put a new instance of the same part? For example, reference designator for multiple circuit breaker should be CB1, CB2, and so on...

4. Thanks for this.

5. Thanks. When I click on Grids for current sheet. I see four option that I can edit, namely, Draft, Eng, One and Ports. which one I should set as you mentioned in your reply?

6. Thanks. I'll do more search on this and ask PTC and solidworks to help if required.

Thanks,

Mitul

Mitul

Answers to your questions above

1) Please note you can only edit symbols inside of creo schematics and you cannot use an external tool. In the demodb the symbols are internal to the design, if you choose to export the symbols to a central location enabling other users to access the same library then the extensions are *.art, *.mm *.dt and *.dep

2) If the color is not changing then check you do not have File > Options > System Colors > Apply Layer color settings to elements checked on. If checked clear the check

3) REF des is the name of the instance. If you set name format to be CB# then your ref des will be CB1, CB2 etc. you do not need to add the parameter ref_des

4) The grid of your catalog items should align to the grid on your design sheet. This means that when you place a symbol the ports of the symbol align with the sheet grid.

6) Creo schematics does not drive solidworks the xml formats are different

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your kind reply. Please see my comments below.

1. Thanks for providing information about library file extensions. Is there an application note that shows how to export symbol library? Sorry, I couldn't find any,

2. Coloring different nets works ok now, thanks.

3. I am still not able to get CB1, CB2.. please see attachment "Sumbol_ref_des.png". Is that how I should do it? I have tested this only puts CB# no matter how many times I put this on schematic page.

4. For grid settings please see attached image as I see four different option but haven't found a guide on what is what? and please let me know which one I need to set when creating symbol? I will make sure to use the same settings for each symbol and schematic page.

6. Thanks for the input, I will check the XML file supported by SolidWorks.

Thanks again, you have given me some hope that I would be able to complete design but I am still not there yet.

Mitul

Hi Mitul

1) See http://help.ptc.com/creo_hc/creo30_schem_hc/usascii/index.html#page/schematics/schematics_hc/About_Central_Catalogs.html

2) Good

3) Set the label to be report Name. Name_format defines the format of the Name

4) The grid setting is totally up to you. You can either use the default settings or you can define your own grid setting

thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

thanks for the answers. I have one last question, have you ever tried imporing an image file (jpeg, etc..)? I know Creo Schematic doesn't support this but is there any other way I can do this. This is basically to show how certain electromechanical parts will look like and to show where the connection points (pins) are to help with the assembly.

Thanks,

Mitul

Hi Jim,

Good Morning. I am a new user for creo schematics 3.0. I would like to use our company formats rather than default templates. Can you pls guide me how to retrieve other formats/Templates in creo?

Thanks

Best Regards

Mickle

Top Tags