cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Inserting a New P-Clip into an Existing Routed Cable

JWayman
1-Newbie

Inserting a New P-Clip into an Existing Routed Cable

Wildfire 4.0, Pro/Cabling.

I have a routed cable, going from an entry port on one connector to the entry port on another connector, via a couple of p-clips (routed 'Along Axis'). Now I want to insert another P-Clip. How do I do that? The only solution I have so far found is to delete the cable and start routing it again! I'm sure there is a better way...

Whilst on the subject, does every connector have to have a different part name? I found that, once I had designated an entry port on the first connector '15_w_d_type', I could not then choose the second connector '15_w_d_type' entry port for the other end of the cable. It was fine if the second connector was called '15_w_d_type_2'. That doesn't sound right, either. I can surely use the same standard part at each end of a cable.

The documentation on this subject, as you will be aware, is a little sparse. I can find a number of tutorials that get me as far as I have got, but any modifications and more adventurous stuff - not much seems available. Unless you know different!

Cheers,

John

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Select the cable that you want to change, use Route, (make sure the filter is on Complete) and then you will need to delete the portion where your new P clip is going to be - use Del Portion then the <Ctrl> key to pick two locations (green spots) and OK.

Then it is important that you use the selection Location to pick up your routing again, the Along Axis etc and Location again to terminate onto the other end. You should get the message "Wire/cable(s) were joined at this location. Cannot extend further" letting you know the cable is complete again.

No, each connector doesn't have to have a different part/model name, but they do have to have a unique REF_DES. For example if you use Components > Modify Parameters and select two components then they have different REF_DES for example C_1 and C_2, but both would say 15_w_d_type.prt as the name of the model.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Select the cable that you want to change, use Route, (make sure the filter is on Complete) and then you will need to delete the portion where your new P clip is going to be - use Del Portion then the <Ctrl> key to pick two locations (green spots) and OK.

Then it is important that you use the selection Location to pick up your routing again, the Along Axis etc and Location again to terminate onto the other end. You should get the message "Wire/cable(s) were joined at this location. Cannot extend further" letting you know the cable is complete again.

No, each connector doesn't have to have a different part/model name, but they do have to have a unique REF_DES. For example if you use Components > Modify Parameters and select two components then they have different REF_DES for example C_1 and C_2, but both would say 15_w_d_type.prt as the name of the model.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, Charlotte

Top Tags