cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Move from Creo Elements Pro WF5 to Creo 3.0

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Move from Creo Elements Pro WF5 to Creo 3.0

Hello all - wow, I'm back at Alcon. 

This is after I "retired" and spent the past ~ 1 year consulting (lots of travel) with a number of smaller companies on Windchill and Creo.  I'm now back in Engineering and primarily responsible for CAD users.  Having a great time so far.

We're still on WF5 here.  New relatively urgent project started this week to upgrade to the latest and greatest (Creo Parametric 3.0); will see about Creo Illustrate, Direct, etc. also in the near future but not until after we're on Creo Parametric 3.0.

Appreciate general advice for moving up to Creo 3.0.  Especially interested in these few specifics:

1. We have used Pro/Process to create asssemby instructions for 10+ years, and have fine tuned all related (multiple sheets, separate BOM tables by sheet, custom balloons, etc., etc.  Want to re-visit and take advantage of best ways to approach for Creo 3.0.  So, would appreciate comments on how you are preparing assembly (and service) instructions.  Want especially to at least partially transfer the responsibility for these to Mfg.

Note: We do not have Windchill MPMLink and may not for a while (we own one license to play with).

2. We fully model all cables, and have a complex situation with cabling in terms of routing, split ribbon cables, same cable used in multiple orientations and routings, etc..  Need to understand and take advantage of Routed Systems for Creo 3, and possibly even consider this to be a migration of sorts.  Just coming up to speed in this area.  Would appreciate advice / info in this area from those who have made this change.

3. Given a population of relatively stable and expert CAD users, if you have any recommendations / comments on user training approaches and materials, that would be appreciated as well, especially designating "super users" in each area and assigning responsibility for best practices / guidelines / standards..

note: We're on Windchill 10.1 and won't go up to 10.2 or higher for quite a while it looks like.

Thanks in advance - I'll be happy to share info / experience that results from this project.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:MikeLockwood)

Three comments.

• We did a total of one hour of user training prior to going from WF5 to Creo 3.  Our users caught on very quickly and productivity did not take nearly the hit that going from Wildfire 3 to Wildfire 5 caused.  Your experience my vary depending on how heavily the users have customized their GUI or depend on mapkeys.  In our case we rebuilt all the company mapkeys in advance so the users didn't notice any change to those.
  • Spend some time with how notes and table cells are edited now.  They work very differently and this new method presented quite the challenge when trying to capture and automate with mapkeys.
  • Use the latest version of Creo 3 (M040 at the moment).  M020 had lots of issues, M030 fixed some of them, and M040 fixed even more.  Yes, there are still some problems, especially with mapkey stability and printing, but M040 is the best so far, at least for us.
Top Tags