cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Multi-level Cables: Outer "jacket" in Pro/CABLE?

ScottPearson
3-Visitor

Multi-level Cables: Outer "jacket" in Pro/CABLE?

Situation: I've defined the often-baffling Multi-level Cable in RSD with the required 4-tier .csv file structure which includes the following .csv files: 1. Datatable for "top" Multi-level Cable 2. Datatable for the "sub-cables" which reside inside the Multi-level Cable. (This Datatable contains two Datasets: one for each sub-cable.) 3. Membermap file (which references the Datatable file for the sub-cables and the Datatable for the wire spool info) 4. Wire spool .csv file FYI: My sub-cables are 2-wire twisted shielded pairs with a shield wire. So it is really a 3-wire sub-cable. My Workflow: 1. I lay down 4 individual wires (fibers). 2. I collect two wires at a time and create a Cable (which uses the sub-cable's definition). I do this twice and end up with 2 Cables. 3. I generate shield wires from the shield ports of the decorations and run them to different ports on my connector (a Variable Group). 4. I then collect my two 2-wire Cables and create a Multi-level Cable. The original Cables are now Sub-Cables of the Multi-level Cable. FYI: No errors occur in RSD. Importing the .xml into Pro/CABLE: 1. The importation works great. (Though the shield wires from decorations do not get created in 3-D due to insufficient entry info, I can live with that. However, I would eventually like to resolve that mystery, too, but not in this post.) 2. The Multi-level Cable is properly created and the Sub-Cables are appropriately named per the Multi-Cable Datatable/Membermap info. The Problem: Though the Multi-level Cable is properly created, it does not look as I would have expected. I expected to see two Sub-Cables (each with a Thickness and each containing two Wires/Fibers) encased in the "jacket" of the Multi-Level Cable's Thickness. What I get is just the Sub-Cables and their internal Wires. Though the Sub-Cables are properly named as Sub-Cable1 and Sub-Cable2 of the parent Multi-Level Cable, there is no overall 3-D "outer wrapper" to the Multi-Cable. The Sub-Cables look just like the other stand-alone 2-fiber Cables in my harness. My Questions: 1. Are Multi-Level Cables even SUPPOSED to generate their "outer wrapper" per their defined Thickness? 2. If so, what am I failing to do to make that happen? Thanks for your welcomed words of wisdom!
This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

FYI: Ajoler replied to this on rsdesigner.net: http://www.rsdesigner.net/smf/index.php/topic,655.msg2091.html#msg2091

As far as your outer jacket not showing up, I can't help you there for the time being. But if you would like your shield wires to show up in the 3D model, you need to name your shield port. Ours are named Entry_0 which indicates a shield port in our designs. You need to highlight the connector or component you wish to add the shield wire to, then select a port that you have designated as a shield port that will have the entry port information. This will ensure that it is a part of the connector you are trying to run a shield to. You also need to place this Entry_0 port on your modeled connector with a coordinate system where you would like it to be placed virtually so that the program knows where to route it to. That should take care of your shield wires not showing up.

Hope this helps out in one area at least.

Hi Scott...

Would it be possible to see your .xml file? Sometimes I can tell more about what is (or is NOT) happening in RSD by seeing the output in the XML. I've become very good at making my own NWF files (without RSD) in replacement of the XML's. I realize RSD purists don't see the need for this... but understanding the nomenclature of the files really helps you troubleshoot.

I've not tried multi-level cables in several years but I'd be happy to take a look.

Thanks!

-Brian

Top Tags