cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Pro/PIPING flexible parameters in a pipeline fitting

cwilkes
7-Bedrock

Pro/PIPING flexible parameters in a pipeline fitting

(Creo 1.0)

Does anybody know how to change predefined flexible parameter values on a pipeline fitting? Ex.: I inserted a 90 degree elbow fitting on a pipeline corner, setting flexible parameter values when I inserted the part. Now I want to go back and change those parameter values. The only option I see is "Remove Var Items". Do I have to remove them all and re-set them all every time? Using "Edit Definition" doesn't work, as it only brings up the fitting insertion menu.

16 REPLIES 16
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:cwilkes)

I don't think this is specific to piping, this is simply flexible components, right?

If so, you go to EDIT DEFINITION and then the FLEXIBILITY tab, then VARIED ITEMS under the component placement dialog to access the variable dimesion(s).

That's the problem. When you go to "Edit Definition" in Pro/PIPING, it doesn't give you the normal edit definition options. It comes up with one of those small option windows on the side. And some fittings (especially End fittings) don't do anything when you click Edit Definition.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Try exiting the piping module then edit definition on the fitting.

It's been a while since I have used piping so I may be completely wrong.

No difference in the menus whether I have piping active or not. I've tried doing it while pipeline view is active too. I really don't understand why there's no easy way to do this in 1.0. Seems like such an oversight.

dlindgren
4-Participant

Using Creo4:

Mark the fitting in model tree and use right mouse button and choose Make Flexible - In popup window enter value. Fitting needs to have predefined flexibility configured in File/Prepare/Model Properties

Fitting Icon Changes to flexible Component

Yes I got that part, but then how do you edit those values later? In Creo 1.0, the only way I can find is to "Remove Var Items", then "Make Flexible" again, but then you have to specify ALL flexible values again. I can sometimes have 10 or so flexible parameters or dimensions, which would all need to be specified and given values every time I wanted to change a single value.

dlindgren
4-Participant

Create pipeline

Place fitting

Make fitting flexible

Expand the feature list of the flexible fitting - still in pipeline. Don't open the fitting. itself

To modify the fittings flexible value you have to edit the feature that defines the flexibility in the fitting.

In my case it's a datum plane in the fitting.

I have no values preset on  the fitting. After modified the fitting on the pipeline the fitting itself is unmodified.

That seems to work just fine for flexible dimensions. Thank you for that. Any idea how to do this with flexible parameters? 

dlindgren
4-Participant

It should work the same way.

Preparation of the fitting component

You have to define which parameter that is flexible on the part or assembly that is the fitting to be placed.

File/Prepare Flexibility - choose parameters and pick the ones that is flexible.

Then when you place the fitting you can change both dimensions and parameters without modifying the part or assembly itself. The parameter i.e. "Designer" is flexible 

Then when you place the fitting you can change both dimensions and parameters

But again, I'm not worried about specifying flexible values when I place the component, rather later in the process when I want to change those values. To me, it looks like changing a flexible dimension from the model tree works, and doesn't affect the standalone part file at all. However, when modifying a flexible parameter in the Parameters dialog box for that part, it will save that new parameter value to the part file upon saving the assembly. 

dlindgren
4-Participant

I haven't found a way to change the parameter after the fitting is made flexible the first time.

Then I have to remove the flexibility and make the Component flexible again and remember the values it had and the parameters value the fitting had and enter the same or change some values.

I haven't found a way to open the flexible window again to change values.

(The window I had when I made the fitting flexible the first time)

If I change parameters to the fitting/ or via model tree the origin Component is changed. 

That's precisely my problem. Thanks for the bit about the flexible dimensions though. That may help me in certain cases, but unfortunately not this particular one.

I really can't understand why Creo won't let us re-access the window you enter values into initially. An amazing oversight. 

dlindgren
4-Participant

Hi,

Suddenly it worked to open the window again. Selected the flexible fitting and followed below. I got access to the window  again. So that I can change both params and dimensions again.

PTC support pages

For Flexible component (Use anyone of the following option):

• Select the flexible component and click right mouse key > Edit Definition > Flexibility Varied Items
cwilkes
7-Bedrock

Why is there never anybody from PTC in these forums to answer basic questions? Seriously, what do these maintenance fees even pay for?

StephenW
23-Emerald II

This community is NOT PTC support. Mostly just other users helping out.

File a support ticket at  https://support.ptc.com/apps/case_logger_viewer/cs/auth/ssl/log#

The problem is paying thousands of dollars a year just so they can answer a simple question once every couple years about features that are conspicuously missing from their software that should be pretty simple to find. Oh and I get to download the newest buggy, crash-prone version of their software every year HOORAY.

Top Tags