cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Some CREO Enhancements

jforsyth
12-Amethyst

Some CREO Enhancements

Like most people in this community, I have used 3D CAD software for over 25 years.  I have been using CREO for 1 year.  There seems to be some basic out of the box functionality that is missing from CREO.  The enhancements listed below are all available in other 3D CAD software out of the box.

Everything below is based on CREO Parametric 3.0, code M090.

Assemblies and Parts

Assembly Sections

Issue

We use 2 types of section cuts in an Assembly:  the 3D Zone and the 2D Cross Section in our drawings.  This issue is if we use the 3D Zone section then wherever the planes intersect a solid part we see the intersection in our drawing.  We cannot remove this from our views.  If we use the 2D Section cut (using a Sketch in the assembly) we create a closed profile.  When we apply this 2D Section cut to a Drawing view we do not see the intersection between the solids and the section profile like we do when we use a 3D Zone Section.  However, we always get a warning that the 2D Cross Section needs to be open and not closed.  According to the documentation the 2D Cross Section need to be open so the user can unfold the part.  This seems like a specialized design requirement for maybe unfolding Class A surfaces.  This is not something that we would ever use at our company, even though other companies might use this.  We also cannot get the Extend the Cross Section to work in the Section Dashboard.  Is this a bug?

Enhancement Solution

• Make it easy to remove the section lines created when using a 3D Zone Section from a Drawing view.
  • Remove or make the warning that the 2D Cross Section needs to be open easy to suppress so we don’t keep getting that warning.

Opening or Adding Assembly components

Issue

It seems to take a lot of time to add multiple parts (over 20 let’s say) to an Assembly.  The current method is to add each component individually, add positional constraints and then repeat for the next component and so on.  The same applies when trying to open multiple parts in a separate window.  This seems to be a time waster.

Enhancement Solution

All the capability to:

• Assembly multiple components into an Assembly at the same time. They can be placed as packaged components by default.  This would allow the user to manipulate the tree order without worrying about components linked to each other,  The user can add positional constraints at their leisure while seeing all of the parts that need to be positioned.
  • Allow multiple parts to be opened in a separate window at the same time.
  • Allow the user to be able to select multiple parts or sub-assemblies in an assembly and open them in separate windows at the same time without having to open one part and the go back to the main assembly and open another part.

Assembly components and the BOM

Issue

We typically have large assemblies with over 2000 components.  Of these over 2000 components, 95% are existing parts or reference parts that we need in our assemblies, but not shown in our BOM.  We then add brackets, clamps, hardware, etc. which we want on our BOM.  We need the existing or reference parts in our assemblies so we can show where the BOM components are located in our Drawing views.  When a BOM Repeat Region table is added to a Drawing all of the parts in the Assembly are listed.  The user then has to go through and Flatten and exclude individual lines in the BOM Repeat Region table.  This is a labor intensive process.

Enhancement Solution

Have the capability for the user to identify components (parts and sub-assemblies) that should not be shown in the BOM.  Some kind of button that they could select stating “do not show in the BOM” so CREO will not include these parts, sub-assemblies and all parts in each sub-assembly when the BOM Repeat Region table is created in a drawing.  Something simple, not necessarily a parameter the user has to define for each part or sub-assembly.  With over 2000 parts in our typical Assembly, a parameter would still be labor intensive.

Parts and Assemblies

Issue

Currently I have not found a method where I can change the lines style, color, line thickness, transparency, and other properties for Parts and Assemblies.  Having this capability would help when creating views as the 3D properties can be reflected in each view.  This would reduce the time to perform the Component Display options.

Enhancement Solution

Have the capability for the user to modify the properties for parts and assemblies so they can be displayed in drawing views like they are displayed in the 3D Product.

Electrical

Wires and Cabling

Issue

Currently is appears that the wires and cabling created in CREO are actually shaded surfaces and not solids.  When a view is created and trimmed by using a 2D section, the trimmed wires in the view are not closed or capped.  They show two lines with an open end.  If the view is trimmed using a 3D section then the trimmed wires show a cap but it shows a complete ellipse.  In other words it is show the intersection curve on the back side of the wire.  Also, when we send a STEP file to a vendor who only wants solids and turn off the Shells option, the wires are not included.

Enhancement Solution

Make the wires and cables a true solid to make the drawing views better and also to include the wires when send a STEP file.

Connectors

Issue

When a connector is used in a wire or cabling run, the connector needs to be designated each time it is used.  For small assemblies with a few wires or cables, this is not bad.  However, when you are routing 20 to 60 cables with 2 to 6 connectors per each cable, this can be a time consuming task.  And if you create a different assembly for a different customer and program, you have to repeat this process all over again.

Enhancement Solution

When you are creating the connector part, make it possible to designate it and identifying the different ports during the part creation process.  This way anytime this connector is used in any assembly you don’t have to stop and designate the connector before you start routing cables or wires.  You can simply select the entry port as your start and stop point.  If you want to include information such as REF DES, you can do this using an Assembly Parameter (cparam).

Routing Wires and Cables

Issue

The current method, after designating the connectors, is to select the starting point and the ending point of the wire or cable route.  You then go back and add locations for the wires or cables..  You can also create a network and use that to route the wires and cables.  In smaller assemblies this seems to work just fine.  However when you are working with a large assembly and routing 20 to 50 wires or cables this can be confusing.  When you pick the start and end points of the route CREO creates a spline.  When you start adding locations the spine is deformed to include the added locations.  When you are routing a wire or cable that is 50 to 100 feet long, and going through 75 clamps, this can be confusing.  I know you can incorporate a network to help but this doesn’t always work when your wires or cables each has a different routing path.  Additionally networks do not necessarily work in congested areas.

Enhancement Solution

Have the capability to route wires and cables by selecting the starting connector and then select all of the clamps in order until you reach the end connector.

ADMIN

Drawing View Callouts

Issue

It would be nice to be able to disable the automatic drawing view caption with the scale.  We have our own company standards for view callouts.   Also, whenever we apply a section 2D section to a view and update the view, the 2DSection name appears.

Enhancement Solution

Be able to disable the automatic Drawing View caption and the Section callout.

Drafting settings

Issue

Currently there are several settings for Drawing annotation and views that are not modifiable by the CAD Admin.  These settings should be available for the CAD Admin to customize the Drafting environment per company standards.  Some, but not all, of these are”

• Being able to define the distance from an underline to the bottom of the text.
  • Be able to control the circle thickness and line type created by a Detail view.
  • Being able to define the line spacing for annotation instead of using the default .50 value.

Enhancement Solution

Allow the CAD Admin to modify Drawing settings to comply with company standards..

Admin settings

Issue

As a new CAD Admin for CREO it was difficult to define the standards for CREO.  There seems to be hundreds of files that need to be modified to customize CREO to comply with our company standards.  I wasn’t sure when I started, and I am still not sure after a year, that I have everything set correctly.

Enhancement Solution

Create a CUI interface for the CAD Admin so they only have to go to one place to modify the config, dtl and other files to customize CREO per their company standards.  Also and more detailed set of instructions that clearly explains what each of the files is used for and what the different settings and values mean.

General

Printing

Issue

Currently CREO uses 8 plotting pens to print a Drawing.  This seems archaic.  It is difficult to define a plotter pen associated to a specific element type.  After you create the views and use the Component Display options to show the different parts in an assembly as different colors, line style, transparent or opaque, the drawing views look pretty good.  However when we print using the CREO 8 plotting pen software, the PDF or the hard copy from a printer does not reflect the display in the drawing in CREO.  It would be nice after we go to the trouble to have our drawing views displayed the way we want to have the CREO printing software print what we see in the drawing (WYSIWYG)

Enhancement Solution

Have the CREO printing software print the drawings like they are displayed in the drawing in CREO (WYSIWYG).

File names

Issue

Currently CREO limits the name of a file to 31 or 32 characters without spaces.  This seems to be a UNIX legacy requirement.  We try to create Standard Equipment installation assemblies so all of our designers are using the same parts and installation configuration no matter what program they are working on.  We try to name these Standard Equipment installation assemblies in a common method so the designers can search for a key word and can see all of these Standard Equipment installation assemblies and they can tell what program they apply to according to the name.  These Standard Equipment installation assemblies will never be listed on the BOM, but the parts inside these assemblies will.  The character limit makes this a challenge.

Enhancement Solution

Remove the 31 or 32 character limit for file names so we can add descriptors in the name.

Hidden Parameters

Issue

As I search through the documentation and the PTC Community site looking for help, I see a lot of solutions that say “this is a hidden parameter”.  Where can we get a list of hidden parameters?

Enhancement Solution

Publish a list of all parameters in CREO, including any hidden parameters.

Documentation and Training

Issue

As I search through the documentation and the PTC .com site for help I find myself lost in a maze of links.  It may be a result of my ignorance, but whenever I search for a keyword in the online help I get a resulting list that is massive.  When I select on one that I think has my answer, it typically gives a generic explanation of a certain function or command with little explanation.  It typically says to enter a value but no explanation as to what the value means or what is the impact. 

When I go to the PTC.com/E Support section, I will look for a keyword and get several thousand results.  When I select on that I think is my answer the information is rather lacking.  Or it will list 10 other documents at the bottom that I can select.  Selecting one of those links at the bottom opens another document and the process continues.

I have watched sever hundred videos on YOU TUBE and the ELearning from PTC.  Again these videos, while they will show you steps to be successful, they are lacking in the reasons behind the process.  What does this value do?  Why am I selecting this face or surface? 

Enhancement Solution

I know it is a lot of work and this is not the low hanging fruit, but it would be nice if the documentation, E-Support and training videos would:

• Have more of an explanation of the steps.
  • Describe what each areas of a function or command window means.
  • Make looking for help by searching for keywords easier.

1 REPLY 1
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:jforsyth)

Without going thru each and every issue you posted, I have seen most of these as Ideas on the board already.

I'm sure they are all valid requests for enhancements but when you put a mess of requests in a single idea, you won't get any "votes" or kudos simply due to too much stuff in one post.

My recommendations:

1. search for an existing 'idea' to vote on (kudo)

2. add a comment to the idea to bring it to the attention of others so it can get more votes (kudos)

3. if you don't find an existing 'idea', create the idea post for an individual enhancement. Don't dilute the request. Be specific. Show use cases.

I have no proof any of these methods will actually get action.

Top Tags