cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Spec Piping rectangle pipes rotated around the Z axis

dconnor-3
6-Contributor

Spec Piping rectangle pipes rotated around the Z axis

Hi All

Is there any way in Spec Piping to create a rectangle pipe (in our case say 450x50 cable tray) that is rotated around the Z axis

We are using Spec Piping to run our cable trays (and was planning to integrate our HVAC system) in our designs (motor Yachts) but do not have the luxury of running the cable trays in 90 degree rotations

So most of the time we run our Cable tray, pipes, and HVAC ducting down the sides of the Vessel which means that we have to rotate out trays around the Z axis see below

ct-003.jpg

at the moment we are using non Spec Piping to do this but for the long term this is not the route we want to take

any help greatly appreciated

Thanks

David

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Hi David,

Only way I know of is to put the pipe in a seperate ASM and then to rotate the whole ASM.

As far as I understand, piping uses the XZ-Plane as reference to orient pipes. So no matter how your starting CSys is angeled, the pipe will be perpendicular to XZ.

I recommend routing the pipe using "extend"; "to point" seems to occasionally mess up the orientation (so fittings need to be rotated to, well.., fit). If you keep to extending on two axis at a time while extending, you shold have some control over the way the pipe banks.

Extending using all three axis simultaniously can leave the pipe out of alignment to XZ (which would be what your looking for, but I have no idea how to control or predict the twisting). So basically all cornering done in 3D seems to twist the pipe.

At least rectangular pipes don't appear to randomly rotate by 90° anymore (see: Controlling pipe orientation?) (tested in Creo2 M180).

Greetings, Michael

Hi David,

It's a bit of a guess as I no longer have piping license however, I think that Michael is close with his answer.

I tend to do each pipe run as an assembly and these would need to be planar for rectangular section pipes. I would look to have a higher level skeleton model that allows you to assemble the HVAC on at a co-ord in the skeleton this would be positioned against the hull at the required angle. The z axis will be along the length of the vessel.

Hope that helps.

Top Tags