cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

To Create solid cable

SandeepKadam07
12-Amethyst

To Create solid cable

Need To Create solid cable having bending (radius) restrictions and fixed intermediate hose position, fixed length etc..

By which method it can be modeled?

Actually one of user is creating brake cable and he is facing routing issue

13 REPLIES 13

Take a look at this method.

Cable Assembly w/ Twisted Wires

There is always more to learn in Creo.

Kevin,

Thanks for the info. But I have a different scenario. In my assembly, there are datum points and I want a curve to pass through that with a control of radius. The curve should not be formed by default. So is there any method to control the curve radius?

Thanks

Sandeep K

There are at least a couple of ways to accomplish this if I understand what you are trying to do.

If your path can be divided into planes, one or more sketches can be created with tangent connections and full control over the radius.  The path can then be made into a single line with an approximate copy.

Capture1.JPG

If the path is a bit more complicated, parts of all of it can be created using the intersection of two sketches.  This can make radius control a bit more difficult unless you are very careful with selecting the sketch planes and the relationship between the sketches..

Capture2.JPG

There is always more to learn in Creo.

Kevin,

In your method, I need to draw the curves. But What I need is different.

I have fixed datum points, Cable have to pass through this points and can be take curvature considering stiffness value/allowable bending radius

Thanks,

Sandeep K.

Thanks Denis,

It seems quite useful document

Regards,

Sandeep K

Given your conditions, bend radius restrictions, fixed length and fixed positions, you will likely need to use the piping module.

In an assembly, go to APPLICATIONS, PIPING to see if you have the appropriate PTC license for piping.

Stephen,

I have PTC License for piping, Can you please help with some documents to follow to get this result.

Thanks,

Sandeep K

PTC learning exchange has some videos. Search for pipe.   Tutorial: Routing Flexible Hoses

I don't know of any tutorials to learn piping.  PTC University has classes on it.

wbottis
12-Amethyst
(To:StephenW)

Folks,

I have routed a cable.  When displaying it in "centerline mode", the cable looks smooth and curvy.  When displaying in "thick cable mode", the cable looks clunky and segmented.  I have routed many cables and have not seen this before.  Is there a display setting that may have been manipulated or changed by our system admins that could be causing this?  Thank you.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:wbottis)

Go to FILE - OPTIONS-MODEL DISPLAY

Check the options for SET SHADE QUALITY, maybe experiment with a higher number (warning, taking this to 10 and opening large assemblies will create serious performance issues)

Check LEVEL OF DETAIL, try turning off level of detial

Under ENTITY DISPLAY, you may want to experiment with the EDGE DISPLAY QUALITY, I'm not sure this one will help in your case.

There is 3rd party solutions for this task.

Some ideas:

You could use curve through points, then add a measure feature to keep track of the bend radius. Move your points around until you find a solution. I've even done this with Behavioral Modeling to find a solution.

Or you could make the cable in Cabling, export it as a STEP, then import it again. This gets you the cable as surfaces, which can then be solidified or thickened. This isn't associative, though.

Top Tags