cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

piping line stock in windchill folder

ErikClacey
12-Amethyst

piping line stock in windchill folder

Hi,

I would like to maintain the same piping line stock throughout the company and thought a good place would be to keep it in Windchill. I was able to place it in WCH but "looking" for it in the piping module, I cannot see it in WCH. Any idea on how to get this working? Or is it not possible and do I have to resort to keeping common line stocks in a "normal" server location?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

The directory to the linestock files can be controlled through the config.pro setting "pro_pip_lnstk_dir". The path to the Windchill directory should be some variety of: 

wtpub://<WINDCHILL_NAME>/Libraries/<LIBRARY_NAME>/<ANY_POSSIBLE_SUBFOLDERS>/

Let me know if that solves your issue.

Cheers,

John Piotrowski, Co-Founder & Product Manager
CadActive Technologies - www.cadactive.com

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Hi,

The directory to the linestock files can be controlled through the config.pro setting "pro_pip_lnstk_dir". The path to the Windchill directory should be some variety of: 

wtpub://<WINDCHILL_NAME>/Libraries/<LIBRARY_NAME>/<ANY_POSSIBLE_SUBFOLDERS>/

Let me know if that solves your issue.

Cheers,

Thanks. This config option was set but I still couldn't see the files. 

The solution that I found was that it only works if the linestock is checked in to Windchill via Creo. Then it works fine.

I had previously checked it in using an external browser and also using the desktop integration. That did not give the file the correct file type in Windchill.  

You're welcome! It makes sense it would need to be checked in via Creo's Windchill. I had a similar issue with getting .SPL files for cabling checked-in recently. Any external files like these need to be checked-in via Creo. If you check these files in with the Windchill browser they just come in as a generic Document type.

Cheers,

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:ErikClacey)

Related question.

Is it better to put line stock files in Windchill or just in a common library folder on disk?

I can set either location to be shared by all users.

Is there an advantage to putting them in Windchill like there is with drawing formats, so Windchill doesn't mark the file as new. Does the line stock file act more like a template where it is used as the basis for a new part name and then not retained in session?

Creo 4 m080

Windchill 11.0 m030 CPS16

Hi,

I prefer to keep them in Windchill as everything else is there, but also because it is easier to version the files, and prevent users from accidentally deleting or moving them. Also, it ensures that all users use the same line stock and don't copy it locally and then eventually become out of date.

The line stock is just read to get the correct parameters, so you don't change the source.

Another issue that I solved was related to the material. The linestock only looks the the default material library, not subfolders (Titanium alloys, stainless steel alloys, plastics etc). This is a shame, but to only workaround was to make copies of materials that we use in piping and put them in the default folder. This ensures that the material properties follow the piping when creating solid parts of the tubing.

Top Tags