cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

3D Mechanism Design Help (Pro/e)

DominicTriana
1-Newbie

3D Mechanism Design Help (Pro/e)

Hello everyone,

I am trying to model the dynamics of a screw mechanism that contacts a hinged part. I am not concerned with the forces or stresses, only the motion of the hinged part due to the motion of the screw. So to clarify, I have a screw moving down that contacts a hinged surface and forces it outward. Most of the videos and tutorials I have seen contain linkages connecting all the parts, but my model has two mechanisms that come into contact. My goal is to change the hinged surface's geometry and then observe the change in motion. I have no clue where to start... I've modeled my parts and the mechanisms. For the hinge I used a pin constraint and for my screw I used 4 slot/point constraints (4 threads). All help is appreciated. If you could recommend a video or book that would be great.

-Dominic

I am unable to provide a picture of the device but I've attached a simplified illustration. (MS Paint)

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Dominic,

I wonder if you should create a datum curve on the screw, say around the bottom edge (if it looks like your attached sketch?), and then create a datum point on the part of the hinged flapper that will contact it and move with the screw. This would be "slot-follower" in Mechanism. The axial movement of the screw would be "cylinder". Not sure if this will work, but I recall an example in a Mechanism course that used a drill bit going into a hole. Slightly different application, but there is axial movement and the drill bit rotated on the point created on the ID of the hole, so in animation, it looked like the drill bit was rotating, ie. "drilling" the hole.

Or, change your four slots on the screw to four datum curves and use a point on the hinged flapper? FWIW...

Hope this helps?

Edward

Dominic,

The attached little video shows a technique that does NOT use Mechanism; it uses Move Packaged Component instead. It's a bit "flaky"

in operation, but maybe it could serve your purpose. The stationary L-shaped block has a (Hidden) Helical Sweep Surface with a perimeter Point

on the screw part aligned with its edge. The swinging hinge block has a Tangent constraint with the spherical surface at the end of the screw. I can

give you more detail if you wish.

David

Dominic, if u want to create this using mechanism all u need to do is create cam connection and select hindge surface as cam1 and bottom surface of ure "screw" type part as second. You should probably create some half-sphere as bottom surface of that screw or atleast give it some radius to make contact detection smoother. Also you must in cam conection check "enable liftoff" so you can break off contact.

Top Tags