cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

About the unite technology in Creo 3.0

xlin
1-Newbie

About the unite technology in Creo 3.0

Hi,

As we all know,Creo unite technology can open and saves as Solidworks、CATIA、NX.

Such as Solidworks:

To open function,when open a Solidworks assembly,we can only find the part in the model tree.we can't find the features

To save as function,When save as,we open it in Solidworks,it has no mates.

I have a question:What's the problems does the unite technology can help engineer to solves?Just open and save as the mulity-cad data direct?It looks useless.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5
rohit_rajan
13-Aquamarine
(To:xlin)

great understanding !

just a little bit i know...

a separate part is not created

the part remains a solidworks,CATIA,NX part

there is no duplication.

and thus the updates are real time.

Thanks for you reply,

I know it can import,open,automatically update,save as.But i don't understanding how helpful it for us.

I hear from PTC technical engnieer,it's a great change—unite technology.It help us collabration and communication.But i find it can't retention features.It seems useless in collabration.

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot
(To:xlin)

Are you talking core Creo or the optional collaboration extension?

I have core Creo 3 and found it useless in collaboration with SW.  I downgraded back to Creo 2 for several clients.

Also, you might check, but according to my SW VAR, Creo may be behind a few versions for a more parametric solution.

Feature recognition alone is not enough to remain collaborative.

You won't find any features from other CAD systems when opening models in Creo, because it's (I think) almost impossible to translate such data between very different underlying systems which use different algorithms and methods for building geometry. So the Unite technology still "imports" just the geometry and it will not transfer features, you get geometry and Flexible Modeling tools (aka direct modeling) to make changes.

As far as I know, Unite is supposed to eliminate (or at least reduce) the need for intermediate formats, like STEP or IGES - the user is supposed to simply pick the model from supplier, put it in his assembly (without converting it to Creo models) and use it as references for placing other models or features. What's more, when said model gets changed by the supplier, user can replace the model on disk with newer version and Creo will pick up the differences and will show where the geometry has changed. Also, when the modification is needed, Creo converts foreign model "on the fly" to Creo model and allows editing with Flexible Modeling (saving changes to dummy file, so the can be re-applied when original model from other CAD changes).

So that's the point of Unite technology - to reduce time needed for incorporating foreign models and convert models on "what needed when needed" basis.

I can't speak for the collaboration features and exporting models to different CADs, since I haven't worked with that.

Thanks foy your reply,

At first,I quite agree with you.As you say,mabey it use different algorithms and methods for building geometry.So,unite can't readout accuracy from CAD model,can't retains assembly mates or propetry.For an engineer,they must be run in a cost-effective way.So it might not to be helpful to them.

Top Tags