cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Can Simulate handle Non-Linear springs with non-mirrored tension and compression...

jellis-2
4-Participant

Can Simulate handle Non-Linear springs with non-mirrored tension and compression...

I am looking at running some random vibration analyses with wire rope isolators and I am curious to Simulates capabilities in handling the non-linear linear springs that have different force-deflection curves in tension and compression. The attached image is representative of the type of spring I would like to idealize. Can simulate handle this type of spring? Can I set it up with a table where tension is negative deflection or something along those lines? 

Thanks for your help!

Typical Wire Rope Isolator Load vs. DeflectionTypical Wire Rope Isolator Load vs. Deflection

3 REPLIES 3

sorry for random the model must be linear. is your model simple enough for MDO (mechanism dynamics option) analysis?
jellis-2
4-Participant
(To:SweetPeasHub)

I didn't think about dynamic analysis not working with non-linear springs, it wont even work a modal.

The model is very simple. I just need to set a couple idealized springs up to a mass of a certain volume so I can get a response and provide peak and RMS loads in a few different directions to my structures team. While I have done some simple kinematic analyses in MDO adding random vibration and nonlinear springs in it would be uncharted territory for me. Does MDO have the capability to to this? 

In my opinion you do this kind of analysis better in MathCad.
Is the system 1 dof?

Top Tags