cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Can you get "LookUp" capability in a feature relation?

DanMcCaherty
1-Newbie

Can you get "LookUp" capability in a feature relation?

I have a spreadsheet that uses the "LookUp" function to automatically determine how many segments are required for an intermittent (tack) weld, based on the length of the weld joint.

I set up an excel analysis feature in Pro/E that uses a model parameter that is set (in a relation) to be equal to the length of the weld feature ('LENGTH' parameter, not the "WELD_LEN" parameter) as the input to the excel analysis feature.

The output is saved as a feature parameter. Then I have a feature relation for the weld that sets the NUM_OF_WELDS weld feature parameter to be equal to the parameter from the excel analysis.

This works, but the complexity makes it an unrealistic workflow. I have to regen my model three times in order for the correct number of welds in the intermittent weld feature to use the values calculated in the spreadsheet. I would need a seperate excel analysis feature for each weld feature, and I would need the additional model parameter for each weld feature. Clearly this isn't an acceptable solution, so I'm wondering if there is a way to define a feature relation that executes something like the LOOKUP function from excel?

Ideally, I would like to eliminate everything from my workflow except for a feature relation that I could import into the weld feature.

Thanks,

Dan

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

No responses so far ... we are going to try to use the Interactive C programming capability inside feature Relations to accomplish this. If anyone is interested, I'll post the results later.

You could try a series of nested IF statements, along the lines of:

if length > 100

segments = 10

else if length > 90

segments = 9

else if length > 80

segments = 8

else ...

else segments = 1

endif

endif

endif

I'm not sure about the exact format for IF... ELSE IF in relations so it may need detail changes.

Clunky, but would do the same job as a LOOKUP.

Alternatively, could you define it mathematically, probably using int?

Jonathan,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did consider that, but thought it might get cumbersome with a couple of dozen options, so was hoping to find something a little more elegant. Esp in light of the fact that what is now a couple of dzn options could easily be much larger if the capability worked well.

If we cannot get the Interactive C-program option to work, or if for some reason that has a negative impact on regen time, I'll go back & try your suggestion.

Thanks again,

Dan

Top Tags