cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Contact analysis "command line options"

gfraulini
17-Peridot

Contact analysis "command line options"

Referring to the attached file, page 22, i would ask if someone could tell me how insert that commands (contact_penetration; contact_nr_its) and also the enviroment variable ( MSE_CONTACT_TOLERANCE_FACTOR).

Furthermore, I would be pleased if someone could give me the guide lines to solve the contact problem in the second attached file.

I've already faced this problem recently, but I've never known if I done all right. The semplifications in the geometry are made because the lower part of the shaft don't move; indeed, if you look at the suppressed parts, you look other bushings that constrain the shaft.

I'm interested know the contact pressure between shaft and the highest bushing.

In the end, some questions about contact interfaces:

- Slit surfaces: is it always reccomended to check it?

- Generate compatible mesh: all the times I've checked it, I had some convergence prolem. So..?

- Kind of references: surface-surface or component componet. Are there any differences apart the convenience of pick reference? And, in case of comp-comp, in base of what I have to choose "separation distance" and"angle"?

I work in Creo 2.0 and the file are made in that, but i have also the WF5.

Regards

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SylvainA.
4-Participant
(To:gfraulini)

I finally found it !

To use these command line options, once the analysis is created, you have to select Run>Batch... instead of starting it within Pro/Mech.

Pro/Mech will then create a batch file which has to be modified in order to add the command line option.

As an example, I have added the contact penetration option here:

call "C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo Elements\Pro5.0\mech\bin\msengine.bat" "Analysis_name" -i "Analysis_folder" -w "Temp_folder" -solram 1000 -ascii -modeltype mda -num_threads ALL -contact_penetration 0.001

Then you just have to launch the analysis by double-clicking the *.bat file. (if Pro/Mech is still running, you can look at the run status in real time)

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
SylvainA.
4-Participant

I don't know how to add commands, but the environment variable has to be set in microsoft windows.

It depends on Windows version, you can find some help here: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000549.htm

I can't open your file but I personnaly often use split surface and generate compatible mesh without convergence issue (what kind of convergence problem do you encounter ?)

I don't like to use the component-component as it creates contacts automatically and I like to know exactly what I am creating.

The separation distance and angle are used by Mechanica to choose whether it will create a contact between a set of surfaces or not.

As an example, if you set separation distance to 0.5mm, it will create contact between all surfaces separated by a distance less than 0.5mm.

The problem i find when use the compatible mesh option is simply a lot of time to complete the analysis; much more that in the case i don't use that command.

Another thing i would ask is if you use these "command line" as referenced in the pdf.

SylvainA.
4-Participant

No I didn't know they exist, but they would have been useful for some analysis I ran.

I just have set the environment variable "MSE_CONTACT_INTERPENETRATION_TOLERANCE" to 0 and it helped me.

Thanks very much Sylvain!

Does anyone else know how to set these "command lines"?

Hello, Giulio
There is an article in the Knowledge Base PTC.
Cordially.
Denis.

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/case_solution.jsp?n=CS6933&lang=en

SylvainA.
4-Participant

Thanks Denis, that's where I found the variable MSE_CONTACT....

For the command line option, I'm searching for an answer and I think it should come from the batch files which are in C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo Elements\Pro5.0\mech\x86e_win64\bin

I'm currently trying to launch one of them with the option "-contact_penetration 0.01" within a DOS prompt window.

SylvainA.
4-Participant

I finally found it !

To use these command line options, once the analysis is created, you have to select Run>Batch... instead of starting it within Pro/Mech.

Pro/Mech will then create a batch file which has to be modified in order to add the command line option.

As an example, I have added the contact penetration option here:

call "C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo Elements\Pro5.0\mech\bin\msengine.bat" "Analysis_name" -i "Analysis_folder" -w "Temp_folder" -solram 1000 -ascii -modeltype mda -num_threads ALL -contact_penetration 0.001

Then you just have to launch the analysis by double-clicking the *.bat file. (if Pro/Mech is still running, you can look at the run status in real time)

Sorry but I'm not expert into manage batch files...

can you explain much better the procedure to obtain what you have done?

What I've understood is:

1. select the name of the analysis in the pro/e tab menu
  2. Run/Batch ; and creating the file batch
  3. now I have to "edit" that file but if I made double click on it, it starts the analysis

can you post the screen where you seen how editing that file?

SylvainA.
4-Participant

In windows explorer, right-click on the batch file and choose "Edit"

Thanks a lot!

But, is there a reason for which you have set the environment variable MSE_CONTACT_INTERPENETRATION_TOLERANCE to 0 instead setting it to 1.0E6 as in the example?

If I don't misunderstood it, that value serves to modify the "Residual norm tolerance". Setting it to 0 should ensure much precision, but should lengthen the time...

Furthermore, do you know where I can find more command lines to add at the batch file?

A kind of list where are listed with a description.

For example: how can I explain it "create elements during run" from command line?

To be sure that he will do...

SylvainA.
4-Participant

Normally, if you set this option during the analysis definition, it will be OK.

I think that these options are stored in the *.xml file which is in the analysis folder set in the batch file (look at "Analysis_name" and "Analysis_folder ").

I'm sorry...I've confused "MSE_CONTACT_INTERPENETRATION_TOLERANCE" that you have posted, with "MSE_CONTACT_TOLERANCE_FACTOR" that I posted at the start, and that is commented in the pdf.

Instead MSE_CONTACT_INTERPENETRATION_TOLERANCE what is it? Is it the tolerance on the penetration depth that you control with -contact_penetration command line?

SylvainA.
4-Participant

I set this environment variable because I had a problem of convergence on load increment 0. I found this solution in PTC support website.

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS6933&posno=1&q=MSE_CONTACT_INTERPENETRATION_TOLERANCE&nav=ptcproductgroups||creo||Product+Group||Creo

You can find some other command line options in the Pro/E help file by searching "use msengine".

EDIT: "options" and not "potions" as I wrote

Top Tags