cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Dear experts in fasteners simulation : Bolt with friction

verneinvirgile
6-Contributor

Dear experts in fasteners simulation : Bolt with friction

Dear Forum , I'm a french teacher an I used to use CREO 5.0.3.0. I built a course about fastener design and calculs and I would like to show to students the link between calculus ans simulation , for introduce parameters to the students , I've chosen to use a simple model , 2 parts joined with a blot 

verneinvirgile_0-1588340355126.png

When I perform a simulation with a axial force I find the same results as the calculation (I've join the PDF in french ) 

Now I want to perform a simulation with a tangential force ,   

verneinvirgile_0-1588340355126.png

And now It's more complexe, 

I Anchor the pink part , I apply a tangentiel force (500 N) on the yellow part . 

This is  bolt définition with a preload of 8000 N 

bolt defintion.PNG

I define a interface with a infinite friction and a friction indicator at 0.5 

interface .PNG

the analyse settings 

analyse settings .PNG

and here are all the results 

resultats .PNG

Result analyse : to do simple , the preload is 8000 and the indicator is 0,5 , in theory the max tang force will be 4000 N before slipping. 

the fastener shear force is low but about 10N , weird ... and the slippage is present ,  it could not be 

If I read that from CREO : 

Create Slippage Indicators—Creates three slippage indicator measures. It is available for selection only if you select the Infinite option for friction. All the slippage measures are created automatically. For a frictionless interface, no slippage measures are created.
These measures check if slippage occurred in the contact region during a static analysis with contacts. If any of the slippage indicator measure values is positive during a static analysis with contacts, a warning appears in the summary report (.rpt file). This warning indicates that the surfaces in contact may have slipped relative to each other. In this case the assumption of infinite friction is inaccurate.

I can see that interface1_any_slippage is positive 

If I read that from CREO : 

Si=T—N*

<= 0
where 

is a coefficient of friction.
Slippage does not occur at xi when the value of Si is less than or equal to zero. Creo Simulate calculates Si at every point of the surface and uses Si to calculate the following slippage indicator measures:
• Any Slippage—Maximum of Si
A positive value of this measure indicates that slippage has occurred at at least one location in a contact region.
• Complete Slippage—Minimum of Si
A positive value indicates that slippage has occurred at all locations in a contact region.
• Average Slippage—Integral of Si over the contact surface.
A positive value indicates that slippage has occurred at most of the locations in a contact region.
This measure is created when both the surfaces in contact are planar.
I've tryed with a 5000N tangential force 
here are the results 
resultat1.PNG

In this case the yellow part must slip and I can notice than the Interface1_complete slippage is not positif ...weird again ...

the shear force must be about 5000 - 4000 = 1000 N , is it not ...weird ? 

Could you give me some hints to resolve my problem  or I make big mistakes ? 

thanks a lot for reading this post

BR

VV  

6 REPLIES 6

Is it possible for you to share your model?

You can select the contact surface (pink-yellow) and also create a force measurement in the direction of the applied force. This should be be easier to interpret. 

You may spot local sliding in the interface but this not means that it will slide. Check the contact colors regarding sliding in the result.

What I cannot identify in your simulation is if you are making use of the "real" preload - considering the flange stiffness. Simulate 5.0 has this option. It modifies the preload until get the "real"  8000N. But I think it is selected.

DenisJaunin
15-Moonstone
(To:rrabe)

Bonjour verneinvirgile,

C'est très intéressant.

Cordialement.

Denis

Bonjour , merci pour votre commentaire.

cdlt

VV

Still processing the info provided in the meantime

Calculation raideur boulon: 1ere approximation correct (probablement OK pour des etudiants!) mais pas tout a fait juste. Certain codes utilise une partie de l'ecrou et de la tete de boulon.

As a side issue: What is shown as as 'Diametre test de separation' is misleading (I need to re-read the doc) as it isn't . What you are showing is the frustum for the joint stiffness calculation (and ne not even the standard way of calculating it)

Example 1: 5000 applied on yellow plate

si preload=8000N and bolt load final =8414N cela veut dire que 414N est passes dans boulon. Cela te semble correct? J'ai pas encore fait le calcule due facteur de raideur du joint pour ces dimensions mais je pense que la charge finale sur le boulon devrait etre de ~8000+0.25*5000 = 9250N

Thany you so much for answering me , we you write : 

and ne not even the standard way of calculating it 

Did you mean in industrial calculation (with standards) ?

What is the usual way ? 

Thank you 

BR

vv

Top Tags