cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Excel Analysis

Jeroen
1-Newbie

Excel Analysis

Has anybody of you ever used an Excel analysis feature before?

I was thinking on using this for a calculation that I need to calculate a position.

Because it involves an iteration and because it is a very complex calculation, I think it is not possible to do this from within Creo.

Upon opening the setup screen of the excel analysis feature, I noticed this is very basic.

As far as I can see, it seems not possible to add feature parameters?

I really need these parameters to create my excel analysis feature.

Also, it seems it is not possible to add boolean parameters?

(this would be easily solved by adding integer parameters and link them with a relation...)

Does anybody know if it is possible to add feature parameters?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeroen
1-Newbie
(To:Jeroen)

Update

The Excel Analysis feature is a very powerful feature, and works very well.

In my case, I need to iterate a rather complex calculation, I don't think it is possible to do this within Creo.

Problem 1: It is not possible to add feature paramaters

Even more: it is only possible to add parameters from the component itself.

Assembly parameters are also not possible.

And to make things even worse: it is not possible to use locked parameters (parameters that are updated with a relation)

Solution:

I have created a dummy sketch containing lines and angles. The sketch has relations to update the langth of the lines and the angle with the (feature) parameters I need. It is possible to use these dimensions, even if they are driven by a parameter.

Problem 2: Boolean and Real parameters:

You cannot select them from the list, Creo does not allow many things here.

Solution:

Real parameters are made integer by using them as a dimension in the sketch

Boolean parameters are transformed to 0 and 1 by relation. (if YES then 1 ...)

Because of the possible problems of making a line length zero, I used these parameters as a dimension between the 'parameter-lines' (see problem 1)

It's a lot of workaround for such a beautiful feature. I don't know why there are so many limitations defined in Creo.

I now need to create an UDF containing this calculation. I hope it will still work afterwards.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Jeroen
1-Newbie

Update

The Excel Analysis feature is a very powerful feature, and works very well.

In my case, I need to iterate a rather complex calculation, I don't think it is possible to do this within Creo.

Problem 1: It is not possible to add feature paramaters

Even more: it is only possible to add parameters from the component itself.

Assembly parameters are also not possible.

And to make things even worse: it is not possible to use locked parameters (parameters that are updated with a relation)

Solution:

I have created a dummy sketch containing lines and angles. The sketch has relations to update the langth of the lines and the angle with the (feature) parameters I need. It is possible to use these dimensions, even if they are driven by a parameter.

Problem 2: Boolean and Real parameters:

You cannot select them from the list, Creo does not allow many things here.

Solution:

Real parameters are made integer by using them as a dimension in the sketch

Boolean parameters are transformed to 0 and 1 by relation. (if YES then 1 ...)

Because of the possible problems of making a line length zero, I used these parameters as a dimension between the 'parameter-lines' (see problem 1)

It's a lot of workaround for such a beautiful feature. I don't know why there are so many limitations defined in Creo.

I now need to create an UDF containing this calculation. I hope it will still work afterwards.

Jeroen
1-Newbie

Next problem:

I'm trying to use this analysis feature inside a UDF.

While placing the UDF, I get a message that the feature is failed:

"Analysis creation failed due to computation error"

Is it possible to get more information concerning this error while placing the UDF?

bgramman
3-Visitor

Simplified Logic Inc specializes in bi-directional Excel to Creo or Creo to Excell data transfer this with an application called Nitro-CELL.  Please see this Website: Simplified Logic, Inc. and YouTube Channel:  Simplified Logic, Inc. - YouTube

Top Tags