cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Getting Error on Analysis

Garrett317
8-Gravel

Getting Error on Analysis

I have an assembly with a gusset bolted to a vertical beam. When I start the analysis, I get an error: "Cannot process highlighted contacting surfaces. Surface: Vert_Beam, Surface: Bolt"

I have attached an image of the highlighted surface. Any suggestions to a solution?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

There are many ways to model bolted connections from simple to complex.  Your image does not clarify what method you are attempting.  I will assume you are unfamiliar with simulating bolts and take a guess that you have...An assembly with the 3d models of bolts with threads, washers, etc. with the default interface of bonded.

No special preparation has been done in the bolted area for simulation purposes. I assume all this because it appears the bolt has thread forms and the hole does not.

Some of the possible solutions:

quick method when you do not care to analyze the bolt itself.  delete bolt and washer and thread shapes if the hole has them then using surface regions (like washer/head size) connect the parts with rigids.

So-So method.  do exact subtraction of bolt from hole, preferably threads removed.  This is likely the reason for your error. message. The surfaces are very close but not exactly the same surface - thus we use a subtraction operation to make them exact by - decrease hole size, then subtract/cut the bolt from the hole... = exact match.  the error should be solved and then you can proceed with however you were doing this.

Good method.  delete the bolt and washer and follow CREO help about idealized bolts to model the bolt.

Expert method, possible overkill, and very difficult.  Include all factors such as threads, preloads, contact with friction, in a complex 3d model.

Thank you for your quick response. I have downloaded vendor bolt and nut and simply constrained them to the assembly. I will try to remove the threads and see if that works.

OK, like I said you may also need to shrink the hole (offset inward) then subtract the bolt from the hole part. (one way is Get data, merge-inheritance, as CUT).  CREO especially treats cylinder and sphere surfaces uniquely, so this is a commonly needed procedure for both cylinders and spheres in a bonded interface.

It is normal simulation practice to de-feature parts for simulation. i.e remove thread forms, part markings like logos, bolt grade markings, small fillets/rounds, tiny holes.

Top Tags