cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

How do I properly copy/paste a note from one Creo drawing to a completely separate one?

jhorst
1-Newbie

How do I properly copy/paste a note from one Creo drawing to a completely separate one?

I have had this issue off and on at work to the point where it's driving me insane. Sometimes the function works just fine, other times it acts like it's not possible. There are also times where I'll be having a problem copying and pasting, ask a co-worker about it, and then it instantly starts working and I'm pretty darn sure I took the same steps I had before asking for help, and it's really irritating. I've gone about this several ways:

1). Clicking on the note that I want to copy, doing a slow right-click, selecting "Copy", making the other window with the desired drawing I want to copy the note to active (I use dual monitors), then slow right-clicking again, but no "Paste" option shows up. I do this all without clicking off of the original note after copying it.

2). Everything is done the same as in the first method, only this way I deselect the note I'm copying and still I can't paste on the other drawing.

3). In this method, I'll copy the note to another sheet on the drawing and go about it that way, but that doesn't help either.

I've thought that I needed to be on the same tab in both drawings, but nothing changed, tried reopening each drawing and going about it again, nothing changed, waited until the next day came around and tried again, still no go. I don't know if anyone here has ever had an issue copying and pasting notes or various other items from one drawing to another separate drawing, but I have and it's just driving me nuts. The fact that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't work really gets to me and confuses the heck out of me. I'm at a loss for how I can get this feature to work consistently everyday.

Of course, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

James,

you did not tell us, what Creo release do you use. Also it is helfull to attach your own data showing the problem.

What I know is ... you cannot copy notes between drawings with different drawing_units. This means if drawing no.1 uses inch and drawing no.2 mm, then Copy/Paste will not work.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

James,

you did not tell us, what Creo release do you use. Also it is helfull to attach your own data showing the problem.

What I know is ... you cannot copy notes between drawings with different drawing_units. This means if drawing no.1 uses inch and drawing no.2 mm, then Copy/Paste will not work.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák

That was exactly my problem, and you solved it - thank you very much!!!

I'm using Creo Parametric 2.0, by the way.

Yes, we often have to use this trick to copy/paste.  We have 2 mapkeys one to switch to our company inch detail file and another to switch to our company metric detail file.  That way the users can quickly go from one to another.  In addition, having a company detail file applied often fixes more than one type of problem, so it is a good thing to try before investing a lot of time trying to figure out a problem.  I highly recommend it.

"When you reward an activity, you get more of it!"

That's what my company does; we have one preset file to click on which implements all metric detailing on the drawing and one preset file for implementing all inch detailing. It really does come in handy.

Hello #MartinHanak, Even though in both the files unis are same, while copying from one file to another error came by saying:"cannot copy drawing with different units".I didn't understand, why this error is coming.Can you please tell me and solve this.@MartinHanak

Hi venkatapraveen. 

This is an old post so I will try to help.

There are three types of units involved in a drawing. 

1. The included model file(s) which has its model units.
  2. Drawing "canvass" units set by "drawing properties"  "detail options" " drawing_units
  3. Drawing dimension units, primary follows model units. secondary set by dual_secondary_units, display set by dual_dimensioning

*** It is when #2 does not match that the copy-paste does not work.

So when you say "Even though in both [of] the files [the] uni[t]s are [the] same", we cannot be certain that #2 is the same.

mender
6-Contributor
(To:jhorst)

One side note, noticed the phrase 'slow right-click' -- depending on how you hold your hands while working with Creo, you may find the keyboard form easier:  1) pick the note, 2) Ctrl-C for copy, 3) pick open space or clear selection buffer or activate window of target drawing, as appropriate, 4) Ctrl-V for paste.

jhorst
1-Newbie
(To:mender)

I just tend to use the "slow right-click" method so I know for sure that I've copied the desired note(s). I'll probably go back to Ctrl+V and Ctrl+C now that I know how to get it to consistently copy/paste.

Right click on the note. Select properties. Copy the content in "Text" tab.
Make a note in your new sheet. Right click on it. Select properties and paste the copied content in "Text" tab.
Top Tags