cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

How do you apply 3-D contact between 2 flat surfaces in MECHNASIMS?

cadkins
1-Newbie

How do you apply 3-D contact between 2 flat surfaces in MECHNASIMS?

I'm trying to apply 3-D contact between two flat surfaces, however it doesnt let me highlight bothe surfaces?

Cameron

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:cadkins)

No can do. Here is the blurb from the Wildfire 5 documentation:

About 3D Contact

A connection between two parts in different bodies is called 3D contact, where the contact is between a single surface or vertex in the first body and one or more spherical, cylindrical, or planar surfaces or vertices from the second body. You can define 3D contact between sphere-sphere, sphere-plane (or plane-sphere), cylinder-cylinder (or plane-cylinder), or cylinder-plane pairs as shown below. However, you cannot define 3D contact between a plane-plane or sphere-cylinder pair.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TomU
23-Emerald IV

No can do. Here is the blurb from the Wildfire 5 documentation:

About 3D Contact

A connection between two parts in different bodies is called 3D contact, where the contact is between a single surface or vertex in the first body and one or more spherical, cylindrical, or planar surfaces or vertices from the second body. You can define 3D contact between sphere-sphere, sphere-plane (or plane-sphere), cylinder-cylinder (or plane-cylinder), or cylinder-plane pairs as shown below. However, you cannot define 3D contact between a plane-plane or sphere-cylinder pair.

cadkins
1-Newbie
(To:TomU)

Is there ways round this say for example use rounds on the edges or make one of the faces a segment of a cylinder with a radius so large that it is practically flat?

or any other suggestions?

Thanks

Cameron

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Basically, yes. What I've done in the past is created an extra surface tangent with the flat surface I actually intend to contact.

DavorGranic
14-Alexandrite

One way to dodge this problem without adding rounds is to use plane to swarm of points in 3D conection.

In this video coin has bunch of points on his flat surfaces.

Video Link : 5499

Thanks. That looks like a really good idea.

How do I create a point swarm?

DavorGranic
14-Alexandrite

In coin case I made bunch of datum points on coins outer edge. Then just use 3D contact and select them all and surface of box. You just need to define zone size around points how big you want it to be. Creo will treat each point as a sphere of mentioned size when analysing contact with flat surface.

Top Tags