cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

How to create flat pattern when there is no reference edge

rpreliasco
5-Regular Member

How to create flat pattern when there is no reference edge

I have created many parts using the sheet metal app, but I am tryIng something different and am having a problem. I am trying to create a label using the sheet metal app to determine the flat pattern for diecutting.  The label has a large bend radius, and an irregular outer shape with no straight edges. I can create the 3D form of the part without trouble, but then I am unable to create a flat pattern feature because the function requires a straight edge for reference. Any way around this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You only need a tiny straight edge.  Cutting a very small flat off a curved edge will do the trick.  If the flat is objectionable, you might be able to use the remove feature after the flat to eliminate the flat edge.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

You only need a tiny straight edge.  Cutting a very small flat off a curved edge will do the trick.  If the flat is objectionable, you might be able to use the remove feature after the flat to eliminate the flat edge.

--
LinkedIn
rpreliasco
5-Regular Member
(To:dgschaefer)

Thanks, that trick worked.  I'm not sure what you mean by "remove feature", where is that found?

In sheet metal it's under Editing > Remove.  You'll need to select the surface to remove first, however I wasn't able to make it work in a couple of minutes playing with it in a sheet metal part. I thought I had used this with sheet metal in the past, but perhaps my memory is faulty.

Creo removes the surface and extends the adjacent surfaces to fill it in.  Think about selecting the surface of a round and removing it to put the sharp corner back.

--
LinkedIn
rpreliasco
5-Regular Member
(To:dgschaefer)

I couldn't get it to work either, it is greyed-out.  No matter, the flat I created is tiny.

A different approach I've used for deformed labels is with the Flatten Quilt/Flatten Quilt Deformation.  Works well as long as your base surface is developable.

Snap90.png

Top Tags