cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

How to import an Inventor assembly (.iam) file into Creo 3?

hdinh
1-Newbie

How to import an Inventor assembly (.iam) file into Creo 3?

Hi everyone,

I tried to import Inventor assembly (.iam) files into Creo 3.

There was no warning occurred but what I got were just datum plans and Csys (See below)

Could anyone shed a light for me?

Thank you in advance.

Huan

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
hdinh
1-Newbie
(To:hdinh)

Follow-up on my finding above!
I have tried two other ways:

- Move all parts/sub-assemblies of the assembly to the same folder with the assembly, then Creo will be able to open the assembly directly, do not need to open all child parts and sub-assemblies first.

- Open the assembly from its original folder, where it has links to its child parts and sub-assemblies. Creo will open the assembly easily.

in the other words, the root-cause is moving the assembly to a new folder before opening it in Creo, thus all links failed.

This is happening since another person created the assembly in an different folder than mine!

Huan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Mahesh_Sharma
22-Sapphire I

Huan,

Which datecode of Creo 3.0 you have installed? AND do you have any information about release of Inventor in which data was created?

Hi Mahesh,

I am using Creo 3 - M050. The Inventor is Professional 2014

hdinh
1-Newbie

Hi everyone,

I think I have figured out the answer!

Since one assembly is a set of parts, if I don't have those parts in my Creo folder yet, the assembly cannot be created. Creo just import the top level of the assembly.

What I have to do is just importing all single part files of that Inventor assembly first, then importing the assembly last, it will work!

It is common sense!

However, I wish Creo had sent me a message about the part files first, to save me some time! 😞

Hope this helps someone else!

Huan

hdinh
1-Newbie

Follow-up on my finding above!
I have tried two other ways:

- Move all parts/sub-assemblies of the assembly to the same folder with the assembly, then Creo will be able to open the assembly directly, do not need to open all child parts and sub-assemblies first.

- Open the assembly from its original folder, where it has links to its child parts and sub-assemblies. Creo will open the assembly easily.

in the other words, the root-cause is moving the assembly to a new folder before opening it in Creo, thus all links failed.

This is happening since another person created the assembly in an different folder than mine!

Huan

Top Tags