cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

How to measure stress value at certain distance from the highest stress point

ptc-5197663
3-Visitor

How to measure stress value at certain distance from the highest stress point

Hello!

In pro mechanica, I have done a static study. Now I need to estimate stresses at certain distace in the model. Does anybody know how can I obtain easily?

1 way is to use "dynamic query" but I cannot locate a point where I want the stress.

another way is "simulation measures" but it ends with fatal error(due to my points(where i need the stress) are not at the element node)

So if someone help with this, then I would be so grateful.

Thanks in advance.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Try creating a surface or volume region in the area you want to take the measure. this will allow you to force a node in the location you want to meassure.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

I'm a little confused about what you mean by, "another way is "simulation measures" but it ends with fatal error(due to my points(where i need the stress) are not at the element node)".

How did you set up your simulation measure?

Have you tried using the Capping Surface compand in conjection with Dynamic Query?

Thank you so much for your reply!

At first created a datum point in the model then on the point, I ceated a "simulation measure", in the mechanica environment and studied the model.

Because of the point location and the elements node are not at same point, The study end up with fatal error.

About the cutting/capping surface, when i tried its possible to get a plane in the beam along horizontal of the beam or vertical of the beam but not possible to do work on both direction if it had worked then I could have obtain the stress at a point.

Now, I created a volume mesh finely at the point location, so now I dont have any problem.

SylvainA.
4-Participant
(To:ptc-5197663)

In this case, you just have to create an Hard point in AutoGEM control .

There will be a node at this point location.

Thank you it's working fine now

Try creating a surface or volume region in the area you want to take the measure. this will allow you to force a node in the location you want to meassure.

Thank you for your kind response!

It's working fine already and the same I am doing. Created a volume on the model in mechanica environment and gave the small value for element sizes and now its working well.

Note that datum points need to be on a surface to become a node in the mesh. Sometimes, depending on accuracy settings, those points will not be picked up by Autogem. I didn't recall this ending in a fatal error if you try to use a point that is not part of the mesh, but perhaps you could use the option to look near a point within a certain radius instead.

Another note when using simulation measures or volume or surface regions like this...try to make sure your mesh is consistently sized and shaped (regular) in that area where you are extracting the value by using mesh controls. It's not so much the absolute element size as it is the regularity of the mesh. And keep in mind that there are elements in the volume if you are looking at a solid model. A surface mesh control can make it apear that it is regular, but beneath the surface, you mave have some highly irregular elements knifing into the same node. That being said, I prefer the use of volume regions over surface regions to be able to better control the mesh.

Thank you so much for your reply. It was working fine now.

Top Tags