cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Is the function string_ends() gone from relations?

psobejko
12-Amethyst

Is the function string_ends() gone from relations?

I've noticed that when I examine the relations in my start part I made few months ago, there is inserted into the text a red arrow with a cryptic error:

->Invalid data type combination at left side of expression

I couldn't really understand it and so I tried to restart from scratch.  But now when I write this sample relation into an empty part:

if string_ends(MY_FILENAME_STRING,"prt")

MY_FILENAME_TYPE = "PART"

endif

and try to save, the system says "Relations have errors"

and there is a less cryptic error flagged with a red arrow inserted into the text like this:

if string_ends(MY_FILENAME_STRING,"prt")

-> Invalid symbol 'string_ends' found

MY_FILENAME_TYPE = "PART"

endif

My first guess is that the function has been removed from Creo 2.0 (M160)?  This is because it doesn't show up in the available functions list.  But this post shows that function used to be in this list in 2014...

Is string_length() still a valid relation function?

But I'm also thinking that's so unlike PTC as they keep everything for the sake of backward compatiblity...

So is there something I'm missing here?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mender
6-Contributor
(To:psobejko)

This function was erroneously restricted (made hidden and/or made dependent on a license check) in Creo 2 M140 and Creo 3 M020.  As you noted, it is important to preserve access to relation functions indefinitely to support backwards compatibility.  The functionality is restored (made visible and/or not dependent on checks) in Creo 2 M160 and Creo 3 M050.  Apologies for any trouble this has caused you.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mender
6-Contributor

This function was erroneously restricted (made hidden and/or made dependent on a license check) in Creo 2 M140 and Creo 3 M020.  As you noted, it is important to preserve access to relation functions indefinitely to support backwards compatibility.  The functionality is restored (made visible and/or not dependent on checks) in Creo 2 M160 and Creo 3 M050.  Apologies for any trouble this has caused you.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Paul Sobejko‌, do you know when these functions were added?  I've never even heard of them before today.  I dug around in the Creo online help and couldn't find them anywhere.  The only place I could find them documented at all was in the PTC knowledge base (maintenance required).   Article CS160989.

(I wonder if there's an undocumented Real-to-String function hiding out there somewhere.  Wouldn't that be nice!)

huggre
1-Newbie
(To:TomU)

Another vote for a Real-to-String function!!

Im sure it would take a programmer at PTC 15 minutes to create this function (that the user community has been asking for the last 20 years)

What a monkey to do..

psobejko
12-Amethyst
(To:TomU)

Well, I don't know.  I imagine they were always there.  Always undocumented.

I continue to shake my head at the lack of Real to String function and PTC's unwillingness or inability to implement it.

It's rather Kafkaesque, isn't it?

Top Tags