cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Measures not Available in Dynamic Frequency Analysis Results Window Definition

ptc-5183982
1-Newbie

Measures not Available in Dynamic Frequency Analysis Results Window Definition

I am attempting to run a dynamic frequency analysis on a vertical bottle. I define everything, in that the modal and static give good results. I am a little hesitant on how exactly the DFA works (as far as what the inputs are, I've done this in other software), but that is not really the question here, as I am sure I can figure it out once I start seeing results.

After my DFA completes, I go to display results and the options available to me are very limited. It must be a graph and ordinate must be a measure (with abcissa freq/measure). The problem is, even though there are predefined measures, and I have defined measure that are compatible with DFA and DTA, there are ZERO measures available to choose from. Where are the measures? Searching for answers is difficult as I am always directed to rants about the measurement tool.

I also found that this was a problem, with apparently not solution in Wildfire?

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS149627&posno=6&q=dynamic%20frequency%20analysis&nav=&source=Search

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

In a dynamic frequency analysis, there are not defult measures initially defined. If you do create measures and want to plot them against frequency, then you need to make sure that you've selected "At Each Step" under the "Dynamic Evaluation" section of the measure definition window.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

In a dynamic frequency analysis, there are not defult measures initially defined. If you do create measures and want to plot them against frequency, then you need to make sure that you've selected "At Each Step" under the "Dynamic Evaluation" section of the measure definition window.

Thanks Shaun,

It was indeed the 'at each step' that needed to be checked. At least I can get results now. Now I am just having trouble finding comprehensive instruction to explain all the different parameters...

Any one in particular you'd like explanation on?

I am just having a hard time with dynamic [frequency] analysis itself, and neither the official or 3rd party resources are very useful, and often focus on the 'Mechanism' side of things rather than the Simulate side. I'd rather be introduced to a comprehensive cover of the dynamic analysis and self-direct than have to come back to the forums all the time. It seems a little inefficient, yet even the forums don't house a lot of questions on the DFA.

I have done a lot of dynamic analysis, but in beam-element modeling (AutoPIPE); this is a far cry. Translating how I think it should work is not as easy as I thought it would be.

Hello, Curran,

Is this link can help.

Best regards.

Denis.

http://communities.ptc.com/message/243355#243355

Okay, for example, when defining a base excitation amplitude, there seem to be three places to do this

• The direction vector, which I assume is intended to be a unit vector, but does this scale the excitation amplitude?
  • The 'Value', which as an aside, I am confused why only acceleration units is available
  • The magnitude of the function definition

It seems like a poor design to have so many superimposed inputs, is that really what is happening? There are no resources that explain this. It is a poor help manual explains that the inputs titled 'direction' "define the direction". Thanks PTC...

Top Tags