cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

MultiCAD Option... It is just a save/open function or.....

jmoreno
1-Newbie

MultiCAD Option... It is just a save/open function or.....

testing and testing the " MultiCAD" functionality in CREO... I'm just wondering if it is just to save and open files in other CAD formats??? or do we really give

the user the option to keep the history and the possibilty to mantain their modelling metods.

If we are able to open another format into Creo should we aloud the user to keep using their own strategies ( chuncky modelling - NX, multobody - Catia V5 , etc) ?

If that option is not available why do I want to open a file in Creo from another format to rework it and not be able to send back already in a good/proper structure???

Just to open it and do something that problably must be done ones more in the original CAD format???

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

Hi Jorge...

The MultiCAD functionality is mostly to open files from other systems into Creo and make changes as if the part were modeled as a native Creo file.

You cannot open an NX model in Creo and continue to use NX modeling methods and strategies to make changes. You'll be using Creo Direct modeling strategies or... Creo Parametric strategies.

MultiCAD is intended to bring legacy models from other packages into Creo. The hope is that you bring your models into Creo and continue working on them there... without really intending to go back. There are some options to maintain associativity between the imported models and the converted Creo versions. I haven't worked with the MultiCAD functions enough to discuss the limitations of these options just yet.

I hope that starts to answer your questions. Have a great holiday!

Thanks!

-Brian

Hi Brian

I understand that very much? but what is the big deal...?? the customer needs to pay for that utility, that also exist in another CAD software.

why don't PTC takes big steps trying to change really the way of CAD as Creo is supposed to do?

I just feel that we should jump a little bit longer with those tools and offer better and more robust solutions... Just thiking that Creo 2 is arriving and trying to compete with V6 and NX 8 is something that really needs to be done...and not just comming with a dinamic sectioning as the big news for the CAD users....

Hi Jorge...

The point is simply to be able to open files from any CAD system and make modifications. NX can do this... so Pro/E has answered the challenge, too. While it would be fantastic for all the major CAD players to get together and offer one portable standard that allowed model sharing between all packages. I don't see how that's ever going to happen. After all, PTC is a business and all businesses are looking for competitive advantage.

PTC hopes that Creo provides such wonderful enterprise data management, CAD tools, project management, and interconnectivity that companies decide they don't need any other software. They want people to convert from their old software to Creo. To achieve this, they're provided a way for legacy models from other CAD systems to be opened and used in Creo.

My question to you would be... why would you want to pop back and forth between Creo and something else? to me, I'd rather keep the files in their native CAD system rather than transfer back and forth. If I'm going to bring files into Creo, I'm also going to advocate for KEEPING them there. It seems like you're asking for trouble by converting back and forth but perhaps I'm missing the point.

I guess you're arguing for PTC to create one super module that recognizes multiple CAD formats and allows you to work in Creo as you normally would in those other packages. From a technical standpoint, I don't think it can happen. But also from a business standpoint, I don't know why they'd want to do that. It's like saying "Why don't we invent teleportation? After all, the benefits would be HUGE!" Well, yes, the benefits would be huge. But on the downside... it's technically near impossible and the cost would be more than the GDP of the entire planet since the dawn of humanity. So... there's that.

Instead of coming up with some sort of wonderful product that universally reads and writes what all other CAD systems produce, I think PTC is trying to revolutionize the CAD industry in another way. They're trying to provide the tools, vision, and strategy for managing data and developing products from cradle to grave. The level of integration and the depth and complexity of the tools they offer is intended to leapfrog the competition and leave them in the dust. So instead of trying to work WITH the other CAD systems, PTC is trying to outshine them so brightly that the other systems go away... thereby removing the need to create a super translator!

Thanks!

-Brian

Top Tags