cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Multiplier Gear Ratio Help

do'brien
1-Newbie

Multiplier Gear Ratio Help

I'm trying to create a multiplier gear pair, with a ratio of 3:1. I have modelled the gears and defined them using the Gears tool in Mechanism, but whenever I try to set a gear ratio it is always set as a reduction pair i.e: Gear 2 spins 3 times slower than Gear 1. I want the opposite, for Gear 2 to spin 3 times faster than Gear 1.

I have tried setting the gear ratio by pitch circle diameter (the first gear has a radius 3 times that of the second), and also using a user defined setting. Whichever way I set D1 and D2, the second gear always spins slower than the first.

How do I force my gear pair to be a multiplier instead of a reducer?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2
Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:do'brien)

I'm not an expert at mechanism, but, it seems you have the input and output gears picked wrong?  Depending on which gear is driven, it is either/or.

Good luck!

drawlins
5-Regular Member
(To:do'brien)

Big drive to little driven produces speed?

Top Tags