Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Must be in related tab to carry out related function in drawings

Re: Must be in related tab to carry out related function in drawings

Ouch Frank.

I understand where you're coming from. The GUI is such a sore subject with long time users. Many of us feel like we've taken it on the chin whenever the GUI changes. I used to have a huge list of mapkeys we developed at Amp many years ago. You could work nearly without screen menus at all. As the successive revisions of Pro/E kept coming we had to recreate the mapkeys over and over again. As screen menus started to pervade the interface, the mapkeys got harder to create and control until by Pro/E v.2001, they were virtually useless.

The reason I mention mapkeys is that they were always the "ace in the hole" that long time users had. You could skip the "pretty" menus and flashy dialog boxes and just get work done. The pictures and dialog boxes are fantastic... for new or casual users. Having a little picture or a preview demonstrating what effect a specific feature will have on the model is useful. However, the experienced guys just wanted to drop a quick feature and move on. We've really gotten away from the ability to do that.

Wildfire really changed the game. And we definitely had to adapt or be left in the dust. I did't agree with some of the changes at the time because I felt as if they've hidden some of the true power of the software behind layers of glossy menus. The interface has been simplified and modernized but, in my personal opinion, not always for the better.

Luckily it seems that we've gotten a gift with the Quick Access Toolbar. I have high hopes of using this tool to create a personalized suite of menu options to access my most important commands quickly. I'd like to see further developments to the customization of the interface. For example, I'd love to be able to add picks to the right-hand mouse button pop-up menus.

There was a time you could add options using the menudef.pro file... maybe one day we'll be able to create our own menus, popups, dialog boxes, and other interfaces. Hopefully some development work is proceeding in that direction. I guess we'll see what Creo 2 holds... and cross our fingers for something great!

Thanks for the reply Burt. I still respectfully disagree... I don't love the ribbons in Microsoft products or Creo. I prefer the screen real estate to seeing the commands with big ol' icons. I know where the commands are and I work hard to keep up on the latest tools and features. I just wish there were a way for everyone to have it their way... like at Burger King!

And I can't retire... I have kids. The bills never end.

Hyroglyphics went out of fashion with the Egyptians. Icons need to die the same death. Long live text!

Retirement will never be an option for me either........I have 2 X-wives to support with alimony under the pretense of "child support" for my 3 kids........