cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Optimization Study (Static) Won't Finish / Doesn't Work

nebraska-engr
8-Gravel

Optimization Study (Static) Won't Finish / Doesn't Work

Hello, I am trying to run a design optimization study for feasibility, using two radii on a connecting rod as my design constraints. This is my first design optimization study and I have followed the PTC tutorials for setup. I have specified the options of the design study as shown in the attached screenshot.

However, in the "Status" window for the study, the simulation gets stuck at "Begin Analysis of Limits of Initial Design." It sits for hours with no progress. Normally, the static simulation takes a few seconds to complete. I noticed that in the Creo dialog box, there is a warning symbol with "Cannot open file .\study1\study1.stt."

I've done some googling and I cannot seem to figure out why this is happening. I hope someone has seen this before and knows how to get this to run. Keep in mind that this is the first time running a design optimization study. Hopefully this is an easy fix so I can get going on optimizing real products!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I was able to resolve the issue though opening a case with PTC.

Turns out, optimization studies only work if your simulation "output file location" is your working directory. I use a separate folder on my hard drive specifically for FEA. Seems that optimization studies don't like that.

I changed the output file to match my working directory and it worked. Thank you for helping me with this!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

probably it is not launching creo in the background correctly. i have seen this before. some things to try. make sure you only have one version of Creo installed. add to the system path the full path to the .../parametric/bin folder.
also test regeneration. either the options button where the solver, remesh, and convergence is set. or a new design study -regeneration- with various dimensions (before running
optimization. )

I was able to resolve the issue though opening a case with PTC.

Turns out, optimization studies only work if your simulation "output file location" is your working directory. I use a separate folder on my hard drive specifically for FEA. Seems that optimization studies don't like that.

I changed the output file to match my working directory and it worked. Thank you for helping me with this!

Top Tags