cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Punch in PROE

MikeMinsterkett
1-Newbie

Punch in PROE

Hello,

I would like to create a punched hole in a tube. Is there a way to do this in PROE? Will it simulate the deformed material by the size of the punch? I would think it could do this but neve tried. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Can you give us more information? I can't tell from the jpeg what you are trying to do.

I have attached another picture below. In this one I have punched the hole I want. The problem is it doesn't deform the area around the whole. So I can't illustrate what is actually happening. I have created this part & punched it in sheetmetal. I normally don't use sheetmetal so I was thinking there might be something I am missing. I would think there should be some standard punches with more punch settings. I was talking to another Engineer about this & he said its standard or built in Solidworks. He tried it at home & it was created as it should be. I do run into these things with PROE sometimes where its there but just cant find it or don't have the right license for some module that we don't have. I hope this makes it more clear. Any help or suggestions is much appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

Do you mean punching "in air" (as opposed to punching with a die backup), something like the following?:

tube-deformation.jpg

This was built using Surface modeling techniques; two Surfaces were merged, a Round placed at the edge, the Quilt trimmed by another Surface, and the result finally Thickened. The Round could also be a Variable Radius Round to illustrate more closely what actually happens.

I have used SolidWorks before, but not extensively for sheet metal; I would be curious to see how it could do such a thing automatically without giving the system a lot of information about the characteristics of deformation, etc.

David

It is a complete tube I just made a half thinking if I could get it right I could just mirror it. I don't believe it is made with a die. The way it was explained to me in Solidworks is a deformation area is specified, then an extruded hole & depth. I just haven't been able to make much sense of the deformation area in sheetmetal. Are you familiar with it?

Thanks

Mike

Top Tags