cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Quilts and Solidifying

rng
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Quilts and Solidifying

Hi All,

Hope you are all enjoying your holidays.

I currently have a quilt that wont solidify properly. I have built a skeleton model of a mouse and because of the tight curvature it will not thicken properly...which is fine... i knew that was going to happen.

So in one instance, I've thickened with special handling conditions, and the surfaces that haven't thickened, i've 'patched' over using the 'style tool' and created what i know to be a watertight quilt. All the quilts merge correctly too. However, when it comes to solidifying the warning 'one-sided edge found in solidify' shows up. When examining the failed feature there are small crosshairs on what i assume to be open quilts... although some are on the original skeleton model surface which should not be possible, as i copied the geometry through...?

Instead of thickening upon retrying, i offset the surfaces that would offset and then patched the whole model. Again, it merges together fine but this time it does not give me the option to solidify. Any ideas?

Please have a look at the attached pictures and i'll try and describe as best as i can

Cheers,

Ray

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6
rubenvillarreal
13-Aquamarine
(To:rng)

Hello,

In order to not change the geometry, I recommend you that change the merge order of the surfaces, sometimes tiny gaps exists between the surfaces (even when they are merged together), so changing the merge order and the merged surfaces (3 instead of 2 for example) SOMETIMES helps.

Also, you can change the accuracy of your model, which probably results in more problems at the moment of merge the surfaces, but once that is solved, it probably solidify the part just like you want.

Patience.

Hi Ruben,

I've figured it out now, turns out one of very small surfaces on my skeleton model wasn't 'watertight' even after merging. This was discovered after recommendations to check the model in wire frame mode.

Any reasons as to why the quilts still merge at the first stage even though its not watertight?

Cheers,

Ray

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Don't forget to mark your answer as correct.

rubenvillarreal
13-Aquamarine

Ray,

Sincerely, I don't know. I'm just passing the same advice that people from this community told me when I couldn't be able to even thicken surfaces. How to avoid this? I tend to BELIEVE that accuracy may help, so before you create the first surface, change the accuracy, even when it can slow the computer, it worth it. On the other hand, get used to it, I'm sure it will happen you again.

Happy Holidays!

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Raymond Ng wrote:

Any reasons as to why the quilts still merge at the first stage even though its not watertight?

Quilts do not need to be watertight to merge, only to solidify.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Kevin
10-Marble

‌Another way to go about the modeling of something like this is to break the surface geometry into simpler more manageable segments instead of having one single merged surface that contains all the geometry elements of the final geometry. Having simpler surface segments that allow for solidification, patching, and removal of material may remove the problems altogether that one large surface merge may cause.

Top Tags