cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Regenerate question

ptc-4024124
1-Newbie

Regenerate question

When I regenerate my assembly, I get a warning at the bottom of the screen stating;

"Cannot update placement of component(M198)"

Does anyone know how to find out what component is "M198". I don't have a part named M198, so I assume it's some kind of designator.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

August

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
vzak
6-Contributor
(To:ptc-4024124)

Hi, try another 2 options in the search tool as in the picture above :

1. Go to "History" tab, look by ID = 198

2. If not found, in same History tab look by Feat Number = 198

If still not there (and given you have Yellow regen sign) - try to look by Status = Frozen.

Best,

- Vlad

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
mmonteiro
4-Participant

Could you attach the assembly and the parts?

The assembly is huge. I can't attach it or the part, because I'm not sure what part is M198.

I thought it might symbolize a part in my assembly, but no parts have that name.

mmonteiro
4-Participant

Inside the folder assembly, have you change manually the name of the part?

No, I've searched for M198 and there is no part named that in my assembly.

mmonteiro
4-Participant

Has M198 in a different folder?

Are you using folders to simplify your assembly?

I do not know if this is the right place to pose my question. I do not know how to post my question in the forum.

I tried to numerically solve a nonlinear boundarly layer equation in Mathcad 11 and Mathcad 15. I get slightly different results with Mahcad 11 apparently giving more plausible results. Any idea why?

Have you tried using the "search tool". Set the "look for" feild to "component" and enter your value of "M198"SEARCH+TOOL.png

Send an image of the assembly components (the tree on your left side).

James,

I tried that and it can't find the component.

Any other suggestions? I'm getting a yellow circle at the bottom in regeneration manager.

Can you post a screen shot of the message log, with the error?

I had to do a quick print screen becausM198.jpge it only flashes for a couple of seconds when I regenerate. Look at the bottom of the screen.

vzak
6-Contributor

Hi, try another 2 options in the search tool as in the picture above :

1. Go to "History" tab, look by ID = 198

2. If not found, in same History tab look by Feat Number = 198

If still not there (and given you have Yellow regen sign) - try to look by Status = Frozen.

Best,

- Vlad

Vlad,

That did it. I did the search for the id 198 and it identified a screw. The screw was not fully constrained. Once I constrained it, I found a couple of more like that. This was a conversion from Wildfire, so maybe that's why they weren't fully constrained anymore.

Anyway, I really appreciate the help!

August

vzak
6-Contributor

Very welcome, August. "M" in prefix refers to a "member" - while number is an ID.

Btw, regarding your note "it only flashes for a couple of seconds when I regenerate." - you can always get to the full regeneration log by placing a mouse over the message area and RMB > Regeneration Log - it will open the window with full list of messages. Or like mentioned by Stefen read the trail file - it contains pretty much similar info (just more complicated to get to it among all other rows).

If you have assemblies that showed as fuly constrained in Wildfire and now report as having problems - please submit them to TS, this should not happen.

- Vlad

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Usually what I do in cases like this is open the trail file and search for "cannot update placement" Usually it gives you more information about what component is failing.

For example, the assembly I am working on right now shows this in the trail file:

!%CWComponent id 495 of model 20015508_DOORS_OPEN is family table driven and will use pre-Wildfire3 replace functionality

!%CEFailed to replace member 168111 (M495), 20015508_DOORS_OPEN.

!%CEFailed to replace member 168111 (M495), 20015508_DOORS_OPEN.

!%CWWARNING: Cannot update placement of component (M495).

!%CWComponent id 497 of model 20015508_DOORS_OPEN is family table driven and will use pre-Wildfire3 replace functionality

!%CEFailed to replace member 168111 (M497), 20015508_DOORS_OPEN.

!%CEFailed to replace member 168111 (M497), 20015508_DOORS_OPEN.

!%CWWARNING: Cannot update placement of component (M497).

It tells me what model is failing. In this case, another engineering groups part (not mine, my stuff is perfect...LOL), apparently did a family table to open a door and something about it is failing.

Stephen,

I tried that and I found them, but all it says is "cannot update placement of component (M19X)". It doesn't state where in the model or subassemblies that component is found.

trail.jpg

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Funny, mine looked exactly like that but just past that part, it gave me the additional information.

bduncan
15-Moonstone

Using "Solid Model" to find "M198"

Top Tags