cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Sawtooth Wave Curve on a Cylinder Using Curve From Equation

jseymour
1-Newbie

Sawtooth Wave Curve on a Cylinder Using Curve From Equation

Hello,

I'm attempting to create a sawtooth wave curve that is on a cylinder using the Curve:From Equation feature.  This requires the use of the floor() function which does not seem to work properly for some reason.  My equation is as below:

R = Constant Parameter equal to the cylinder OD

THETA = 360*t

z = .125*((t/20*360)-floor(t/20*360))

Z should give me an oscillating sawtooth wave of amplitude .125 with 20 total oscillations along the length of the curve if I am understanding it properly.  However no curve appears and the feature fails when attempting to build.  Even when I set the equation to z = floor(1) (which should give me a circle at z = 1) I get a failed curve.  I'm not sure what the issue is and why floor() seems to fail the feature.  In the parameters section underneath the the input window it will even list the value of Z as 1 when inputting floor(1) and the feature still fails.  Is there a setting that is the problem possibly? 

Thanks,

Joseph Seymour

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:jseymour)

I get a message saying "floor" cannot be used in equations.  I would say you are out of luck with that method.  I would suggest making one ramp and patterning it about the axis.  Make the backside of the tooth and pattern.  Then create a single copy of all of the curves.Capture.JPG

There is always more to learn in Creo.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
kdirth
20-Turquoise
(To:jseymour)

I get a message saying "floor" cannot be used in equations.  I would say you are out of luck with that method.  I would suggest making one ramp and patterning it about the axis.  Make the backside of the tooth and pattern.  Then create a single copy of all of the curves.Capture.JPG

There is always more to learn in Creo.

That's unfortunate, thanks for your help.

Top Tags