cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Simulating ang Calculating cutting force in milling operation

hphamnguyenquoc
1-Newbie

Simulating ang Calculating cutting force in milling operation

Hi everyone.tell

I want to simulate chip formation of the milling operation and calculate  cutting force. So can the Mechanism of CREO do it? Please tell me how do it.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Simulating a tool cutting away a chip on a detailed level involves large deformation and very large strains. I doubt that it is possible to create a model that converges in creo simulate. Some software tools, have the ability to remesh as elements gets too distorted, but Creo Simulate does not have this capability. As a first step, I would use Creo to simply calculate the path and orientation of the tool relative to the workpiece, and calculate the chip thickness. There are school book formulae for tool forces as the tool cuts away a chip. Apply those forces, multiply with velocity of the tool edge and you get the power. If this power makes sense in comparison to measurements, you are on the right track. A more advanced study would involve measuring forces on the machine, one way or another, using strain gagues or similar, to get an understanding of what's going on. Another difficulty you will be facing is that the material properties of the work-piece may be velocity dependent. A slow tensile test might produce a certain stress-strain curve, but at high cutting velocities, this curve might look different.

Here's an open access research paper that perhaps gives some insight into the complexity of this topic.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2212827115002206

Thanks.

I have a cutting force measuring tool, I can measure cutting force of milling operation. I want to simulate and calculate cutting force by software, then I will compare with measuring tool. I surfed on Youtube and found out a tutorial of Abaqus soft about simulating chip formation of turning operation. I will survey this soft.

Top Tags