Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symmetry constraint question...

Highlighted

Symmetry constraint question...

Anyone know what the difference is between the symmetry contraint in the Structure mode vs. Thermal mode? If I'm running a thermal analysis and want to apply a symmetry contraint for purposes of making a cylindrical model quarter-scale, (i.e., quarter symmetry) do I need to specify that in the structure mode or thermal mode or does it matter? Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Symmetry constraint question...

A mirror symmetry in structural will just be ignored in thermal. A "mirror" in thermal assumes no heat flux (insulated) through the mirror plane, which is already the default by doing nothing to the surface.

So when you say 'the default be doing nothing to the surface', are you saying that there is no need to apply a symmetry constraint to the mirrored surfaces? I guess because creo is solving for heat flux (Q/A), not total heat energy (Q). Is that right?

Yep, that's how I understand it. My reference books say the same thing.

Mirror symmetry is not supported in Thermal mode....only cyclic symmetry can be utilized.....for your application, for a quarter size, cyclic symmetry can be applied.....and it has to be applied in thermal mode only...

Shiva

Announcements