cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Unstall before upgrade?

jhall2
6-Contributor

Unstall before upgrade?

Hello all.

My company is updating Windchill 9.1 to Windchill 10.2. We are currently using Creo Elements/PRO 5.0 M090. Today I am updating Creo Elements/PRO 5.0 to build M220 so that it will function with Windchill 10.2. In about 6 weeks we will upgrade to Creo 2.0, after havening proven out Windchill 10.2.

I have two questions,

In my current installtion of Creo Elements/PRO 5.0 M090 I have removed/checked in EVERYTHING from my workspace so that it is now empty. Is that really necessary? Some of our designers have really a large number of files in their workspaces.

Secondly, should I UNINSTALL Creo Elements/PRO 5.0 M090 BEFORE I install Creo Elements/PRO 5.0 M220?

We use a floating license.

Thanks I am just hoping to look a bit before I leap.

James.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:jhall2)

James,

I too am in the middle of the exact same process. You do not need to empty your workspaces, but you should upload everything. You do not need to check in. This is from the "PTC Windchill Upgrade Guide - Release 9.x to Release 10.2" (page 62):

Retaining New and Checked Out CAD-Files Work

Before upgrading, all CAD tool users must upload Creo local cache changes or CAD tool Workgroup Manager local cache changes on the client side to Windchill individually if these changes need to be preserved during the upgrade. After upgrade, the user need to clean the local cache and start with a new local cache. The user does not need to check in objects to Windchill. If the user wants to save the work during upgrade, they need to save it to Windchill (upload) before the upgrade. After upgrade, the user has to start with new local cache as the server user starts interacting differently. The local cache is tied to a particular Windchill server. If the server is changed, the local cache needs to be discarded.

Again, the above is best practice, and probably necessary for Creo Parametric 2.0. For Creo Elements Pro/5 (Wildfire 5), we simply jumped from M120 to M220 without doing anything at all with the workspaces. No issues so for.

Multiple versions of Proe/Creo can be installed at the same time, but you will want to use an alternate install location (maybe "C:\PTC\WF5_M220") so you don't overwrite the existing installation.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomU
23-Emerald IV

James,

I too am in the middle of the exact same process. You do not need to empty your workspaces, but you should upload everything. You do not need to check in. This is from the "PTC Windchill Upgrade Guide - Release 9.x to Release 10.2" (page 62):

Retaining New and Checked Out CAD-Files Work

Before upgrading, all CAD tool users must upload Creo local cache changes or CAD tool Workgroup Manager local cache changes on the client side to Windchill individually if these changes need to be preserved during the upgrade. After upgrade, the user need to clean the local cache and start with a new local cache. The user does not need to check in objects to Windchill. If the user wants to save the work during upgrade, they need to save it to Windchill (upload) before the upgrade. After upgrade, the user has to start with new local cache as the server user starts interacting differently. The local cache is tied to a particular Windchill server. If the server is changed, the local cache needs to be discarded.

Again, the above is best practice, and probably necessary for Creo Parametric 2.0. For Creo Elements Pro/5 (Wildfire 5), we simply jumped from M120 to M220 without doing anything at all with the workspaces. No issues so for.

Multiple versions of Proe/Creo can be installed at the same time, but you will want to use an alternate install location (maybe "C:\PTC\WF5_M220") so you don't overwrite the existing installation.

jhall2
6-Contributor
(To:TomU)

That is really helpfu, Tom. Where did you get a copy of "PTC Windchill Upgrade Guide - Release 9.x to Release 10.2"?

jhall2
6-Contributor
(To:TomU)

Thanks Tom! and good luck.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

As for the Pro/WF upgrade, you do not necessarily have to uninstall, but do a complete install of the new software - new directory if needed. Do not do an upgrade from one to the other.

Also becareful because config.pros from the different release will overwrite each other unless they are broken apart.

Thanks, Dale

http://communities.ptc.com/message/190725#190725

Top Tags