cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Volume Region Criteria

nhall
11-Garnet

Volume Region Criteria

Just having a play around with the advanced simulate and attempting to create a fully mapped mesh.

As I have some holes in the surface (see very bottom), I am having to do some jiggery pokery to transition from the highlighted area to a nice, uniform, brick mesh but I have come across an issue that doesn't allow me to create certain volume regions such as this:

So I am wondering, am I missing some criteria that means I cannot create volumes in certain locations?

mapped mesh.JPG 

Cheers,

Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The volume regions cannot have a single face on one side and multiple on the other.  There are 4 segments on one side and 1 on the other.  You have two choices.  1. Propagate 4 segments through entire model.  2. generate a transition from 4 to 1 segment.  This image shows option 1.

Mapped1.PNG

And this one shows option 2.  Option 2 requires some wedge elements to generate the transition whereas only bricks are needed for Option 1.

mapping5.PNG

On the other hand I prefer not to use volume regions but rather datum points to define the regions.

These images show how I use sketches and datum points to generate the mapped mesh.  It is a little more tedious because of picking 8 points instead of 2 faces as well as the initial generation of the points is more tedious.  I have had better success mapping this way.

Mapped2.PNG

Mapped3.PNG

Mapped4.PNG

There sill might be some further refinement needed as far as element sizes and smoother transitions.

regards,

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
nhall
11-Garnet
(To:nhall)

My first image is not appearing in the post, on my screen so here it is again....

The volume regions cannot have a single face on one side and multiple on the other.  There are 4 segments on one side and 1 on the other.  You have two choices.  1. Propagate 4 segments through entire model.  2. generate a transition from 4 to 1 segment.  This image shows option 1.

Mapped1.PNG

And this one shows option 2.  Option 2 requires some wedge elements to generate the transition whereas only bricks are needed for Option 1.

mapping5.PNG

On the other hand I prefer not to use volume regions but rather datum points to define the regions.

These images show how I use sketches and datum points to generate the mapped mesh.  It is a little more tedious because of picking 8 points instead of 2 faces as well as the initial generation of the points is more tedious.  I have had better success mapping this way.

Mapped2.PNG

Mapped3.PNG

Mapped4.PNG

There sill might be some further refinement needed as far as element sizes and smoother transitions.

regards,

Can I just start by saying... Wow! That is a thing of beauty!

I had a go with the datum point method with some success but I think I'll start this again, as currently it looks a complete horror show in comparison!

Capture.JPG

Thank you for your help.

Nick

Top Tags