cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Why no Books on Creo Parametric?

anshulpro
1-Newbie

Why no Books on Creo Parametric?

Why there are no books on Creo Parametric that cover basic to advanced CAD techniques(parametric, simulate, mechanism etc) ?

On the other side Solidworks has lots of books(even Bibles too).

I read the basic book by Prof. Sham TIckoo, but its just too basic and i wnat to learn a lot more.The only option seems avaliable is the" E-learning library".

I think i'll shift to solidworks...i have to....:(

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
14 REPLIES 14

I don't think PTC has made hardcopy books for nearly a decade. I still have and use my PT Designer books. After that, all they provided was the tools to print your own manual. Now they rely on the help files which are pretty much useless. So yes, the e-library is about all you get. And this forum, of course

Gee
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:anshulpro)

I searched "google books" for Creo parametric. There seems to be some good books. I think these books are enough to get you into Creo to some extent where you can handle complex models yourself.

I read the contents of this book. It looked ok and afterall the cover page looked catchy 😉

http://books.google.co.in/books?id=5E2yINfTQh4C&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

egifford
4-Participant

Check out the books available on cadquest.com. I've used Steven Smith's books as a reference for moving from version to version of Pro/E and for learning specific areas of the software such as sheetmetal. I've consistently found them well written and worth the price. He has sample files available on the web page that go along with many of the tutorials in the books. If you go to the Creo 2 section there is a list of several books he's written for the latest version of Pro....I mean Creo Parametric.

Erik

Antonius Dirriwachter: True indeed...e-library is all what i have left...:)

Gee: This book is good, but quite similar to one that i have read.I don't think so this book will help me. Thanks.

Erik Gifford : I have read the book that was similar to this one. Anyway thanks.

The problem:

help_creo.jpg

I am stuck here, my university professor say that u need to have an analysis(static or may be dynamic) so that u can verify your design.There are lots of things that may be i am doing wrong right now also.

There seems a lot of topics that i need to be proficient in...:(

I have seen that model before.

....i posted it before too...now after exams i still find myself not getting ahead of it...:(

My Debit Card isn't working on the E-store...

This software has lead me to a dead end somehow...

pimm
14-Alexandrite

In reviewing the Table of Contents of the listed books it does appear that they are rather basic.

A book getting into the full depth of Creo modelling (in how all the tools work) would be extremely helpful.

egifford
4-Participant
(To:pimm)

Most ProE books I've seen are. They tend to get you familiar with a module you haven't used before and give a user a good start.

Does anyone know if PTC has totally stopped making user guides or Help Topic Collections in pdf format? Last version I have or can find of anything like that is Wildfire 4 pdf collection, last published in 2008. I think they've abandoned user level "book" style documentation, even in pdf format, for Pro/E / Creo. Instead it's now purely web based systems such as their online help tools, e-learning library, PTC University Precision LMS, PTC University LearningExchange etc.....which typically require an extra expense to get beyond the basics.

This may answer the question, but it will not be satisfying. There are very few books because the legal department goes after authors who create books without their permission. I am three connections away from an author who was told that screen shots of the software are releasing proprietary information about the user interface and he should stop distributing his book. Perhaps this is why many books show models and have long discussions but don't tell you "click here".

My speculation on the printed material is that it was just to costly to edit, print, and distribute manuals. An e-mail announcing a new release has practically no cost associated; a box full of optical media may cost a few dollars to ship; a box with optical media, and printed manuals may cost more than ten but less than twenty dollars to ship. Considering these costs, and that there may be installations world-wide (increasing shipping costs), and a user base of something like 50,000 people, you are talking about half a million dollars to ship a new release with printed materials. If you create a new release every 18 months, that is a lot of money to spend on a regular basis.

So a solution is to distribute user guides in pdf format. Once a pdf is released, what prevents anyone from e-mailing it to a friend? What prevents anyone from e-mailing it to a competitor? Does this pdf upset approved authors because they are not selling books? I am sure there are many more questions like these that kill distribution of pdf files. The result is an on-line library.

The on-line library requires a username and password to enter. This prevents sharing of resources, or at least slows it down a bit. The on-line resource can also be updated at any time. Corrections can be made daily, if required. The problem is you must pay for access to these resources, and an administrator of the resources has to assign content to you. For example, your college professor may be the adiministrator, but he has to find the content to help you in your specific situation and assign it to you or assign the entire on-line library to you for you to find the answer. The latter is easier for your professor because many times the answer is found in pieces. One piece discusses selecting objects, another discusses creating datums, another discusses creating sketches, another discusses creating sweeps, another discusses creating evaluate features, another discusses global variables, and so on. The PTC folks each describe how to use their tool expecting that you already know how to use other tools in the software. Theoretically, an on-line library allows you to jump around like that better than a book. In actual practice, a book has an index that covers all topics between the front and back cover; the on-line resource has an index covering each section, so you don't know where to look for related topics. Lastly, I can put book marks in a paper book and flip between them in less than a second. Each on-line topic must be setup and try to determine where you were last. That usually takes more than ten seconds and less than 30 seconds. Just long enough to wonder if the Internet is slow or something. As a learner that is very frustrating.

If you are wondering, I have been teaching the basics of Pro/ENGINEER since 1998. I've never been completely satisfied with a paper book, but I have been much more satisfied with paper books than the on-line resource. On one hand the on-line thing is cool because you can watch someone use the software; something that a book can not do. On the other hand, the index of the book is better, access is immediate, and the book doesn't "shut off" after you own it for more than 365 days. I have used Roger Toogood's tutorial and advanced tutorial, books by CADQuest, a printed book from an author, and probably a few I forgot. I currently use the Precision LMS by PTC, but I am considering going back to paper because of student complaints.

Thank you, Rick.

All I can say is, "Ahh...excellent.  Yet another reason to dislike this counter-intuitive piece of...software."

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:ssywak-2)

This is kind of a resurrected thread but...

Try Roger Toogood, he's been writing pro/e - Creo books for a long time.

Creo Parametric 2.0 Tutorial (Book & DVD): Roger Toogood, Jack Zecher: 9781585038152: Amazon.com: Books

I'll look into it.  Thanks for the recommendation.

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:ssywak-2)

Users learn in many ways.  I continue to find great value in printed books in addition to various all-electronic methods.  I've used CADQuest books in the past including working thru every exercise. Just invested in quite a few of them for Creo 3.0 and many of our users are working thru them in preparation.  We supplement training, best practices, guidelines, etc. internally with many, many Alcon-specific things but the books provide great base knowledge.

Top Tags