cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Workstation Suggestions

mspencer
5-Regular Member

Workstation Suggestions

I am tasked with the job of specifing a few workstation machines to last for the next several years and could greatly use the input of some experts running more current hardware.

The work will be mostly Creo including fairly complex parts (20-50 features) with their associated detailed part drawings, assemblies (200-500 total parts) and their drawings. Our pdm interface is windchill 10 where the vast majority of files will be created and intefaced with.

Along with Creo, there will be the average use of email/word/excel/etc and such trivial software.

It is likely to run a bit of ANSYS, but for limited sized models of a few parts with basic contact and standard linear material models. The solving will be run on a remote server, so no hard cranking should be involved.

We are sticking with Dell as our unified IT vendor, so below are a couple stations I was thinking of

T1600

E31245 (3.3Ghz) processor

8Gb ECC ram

Quadro 2000 Graphics (1Gb)

250GB 7200rpm 3.5 Inch SATA Hard Drive with NCQ and 8MB Cache

T3500

W3565 (3.2Ghz) processor

12Gb ECC ram

FirePro V5900 Graphics (2Gb)

250GB SATA 3.0Gb/s with NCQ and 8MB Cache

The pricing is close between the two with the T3500 about $300 more.

Assuming the memory is something we can easily on our own, they are close in specs. I am curious of any suggestions regarding the graphics...the FirePro has good specs and double the memory, but I have always run Nvidia products. Any real world suggestions from the trenches? Also regarding the processors, I don't really need more than 4 cores as Creo is mainly single threaded. The E31245 appears to beat the W3565 quite handily in benchmark testing, but how does this compare in application?

Thanks!!! -Max

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

hello,

From my experience all that memory you can get with your 2nd listed workstation is meaningless while running Creo.

You could get 4 GB RAM (actually dont do that), graph card with 500 MB memory and SSD drive. That would actually beat both of your workstations easily if you only consider running Creo.

SSD drive makes way too big difference.

JacobAKoch
6-Contributor
(To:mspencer)

Considering the two builds it becomes obvious that option 2 is simply overkill and not worth the extra money.

mspencer
5-Regular Member
(To:mspencer)

thanks guys! I think we took your advice and went with the T1600 but upgraded the processor to the E31270 and added a SSD main drive.

cheers

Top Tags