cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

optimization study help

ptc-5060979
1-Newbie

optimization study help

Hello every body i am trying to run an optimization study in creo simulate.i takes a very long time and keep the (running) button active all the time and no results appear.can any body help me?thanks

8 REPLIES 8

What version of the software are you using? There were some significant improvements in Creo compared to Wildfire.

Even so, optimisation can be very slow. Do you have the status window showing? Is it completing any iterations, or is it stuck in the first iteration?

There have been several very good discussions about improving performance of Mechanica (Creo Simulate) in this forum - in particular, make sure that 'SOLRAM' (the Memory Allocation) value is appropriate to your analysis and your available RAM.

SylvainA.
4-Participant
(To:ptc-5060979)

Did you have a look at the "Checkpoints" tab in the "Run Status" window during the study execution ?

osenbore
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-5060979)

When it comes to optimization studies in Creo Simulate, generally, the more Constraints, and Design Variables you give to Creo to change, the longer it takes, and the harder it has to work to figure out an optimal solution

You may want to run some Sensitivity Studies first on your Design variables, in order to narrrow down the variables that have the most effect, and the range in which that occurs (then use this information in an Optimization Study.

Also, you may want to start by running a Feasibiliy study first before the Optimization study. If Simulate can generate a feasible solution to your problem, then it's much easier for it to work from that feasible solution to achieve your optimal solution. (And if Simulate cannot generate any feaible solution, then implicitly it cannot generate an optimal solution, and hence, the long run times.)

You may also want to open the Run Status dialog box while the simulation is running. This will give you an idea of what the software is doing as it runs the analysis.

Oluwaseyi Senbore wrote:

You may also want to open the Run Status dialog box while the simulation is running. This will give you an idea of what the software is doing as it runs the analysis.

I'd say you always want to open the Run Status window while a simulation is running.

I agree.

It is the first thing I do after clicking on the "Start" icon.

I opened a case over 1 month ago with PTC regarding the issue where the run appears to start but never completes. So far, I haven't recieved an answer from PTC. Sorry for the bad news. I have a call into PTC today to inquire on the status. Once I find out something, I'll let you know.

Did you ever get this figured out? I'm having this issue on Creo 5.0.4.0

A (very late) feedback from my side - since I´m now back with optimization and having (again) issues.

Has someone notices problems when updating the parameters? This can be a big issue to slow down optimization or even to end it.

My impression is that the geometry update runs completely different in an optimization or sensitivity analysis.

I had several models that I could do the changes manually without problem, but it fails in a sensitivity analysis in the same range as applied manually! Never could really understand how to fix it. It is tricky. It doesn´t matter if was Wildfire, Creo or the next name.

Another problem from the model update is the famous "recovering from invalid geometry" - in best way It slows the optimization. In worst case the simulation ends for having elements "not constrained".

Yes, working with less parameters helps to speed up optimization. Also, relations can be an issue (but sometimes is the unique way to model). Nevertheless, I feel that the geometry update is not that robust inside optimization or sensitivity - Or we must be much more careful how we model a part / assembly.

My two cents...

Top Tags