cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

"Total load at point": component in X, Y,Z

fstopelli-2
14-Alexandrite

"Total load at point": component in X, Y,Z

Hi, 

If I know a vertical force (in red), is it possibile evaluate a horizontal force (in Green)? (See "Force.PNG")

In others words whun I use the command "Total Load ad Point", is it possibile know the value of force on the surface in X, Y, Z direction? (see "Exempla.png")

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3

I think you might be understanding total load at point incorrectly.

I do not recommend using total load at point to determine missing/reaction/unknown loads.

I typically use total load at point to verify that the sum of a known load is correctly applied.

I believe it is possible to use this method to determine reaction loads in some cases, but there are many things that can go wrong.

The limited information you show makes it hard to determine how much load can be transferred to the orthogonal "green" load direction.  I also cannot tell if your case is statically determinate, but my guess is it is not.

I generally like to see a free body diagram (FBD) before any static load analysis.  If you find you cannot solve the FBD for the unknown loads, then it is probably over-constrained and/or indeterminate in the static case.  The total load at point function would definitely not work correctly for those cases. (because no FEA has been run)

Also note: The total load at point has no understanding of any constraints applied.  It is finding the reactions for all the loads picked when constrained at the point picked - it ignores any constraints.

So my guess is you see a moment in the total load at point instead of its conversion to a reaction force as you think it should report.

"Review Total Load" permits you to see the components of a force or moment.
Bye

Thanks... oops I was mixing my terms between review total load and total load at point

Top Tags