cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Best Practice for simple AR of 2D Images in a 3D Room, but many images

hub2000
5-Regular Member

Best Practice for simple AR of 2D Images in a 3D Room, but many images

Hello,

we want to visualize images that users can try on their walls in their homes.

we tested already Vuforia studio with one image and one own image target in one 3D container and published it as an experience with no thing mark. We loaded the experience from the bibliotheque with View AR app and it works so far.

But now its only one picture, but the user shall be able to try e.g. 100 different images. But with the same image target. So i want to know the best practice: Wether

- make 100 projects with each a different picture? so the user must always load another project from the app(not so good) and the generation of 100  projects is very hard (100 times nearly the same)

- or can we put 100 different images in one project and switch somehow between the images. If switching is possible, how could that be achieved?

10 REPLIES 10
jmikesell
15-Moonstone
(To:hub2000)

I would say do one project that you can change the image via left right buttons or a dropdown list, etc.. I would also not put the images in the experience as that will make for a very big and slow to download experience. I would host the images somewhere else and then just use the image URL to load them in to the experience as needed.

This way you will only need to scan the target once and changing images will not require you to acquire the target again.

hub2000
5-Regular Member
(To:jmikesell)

Hello,

thanks for your suggestions.

Sounds good, and how to do it into practice?

With Vuforia Studio it seems not to work (?), i don't see for example the possibility to link a simple external image ressource.

Is there a 3rd party program perhaps better for the development of this? I believe my project is not really complex. Is there a good and simple program which can be used for this?

And if there is an program, at the end the experience must be always stored  and published by a Vuforia Server?

I dont necessarily want to make my own app for android and ios, because its complicated, but use the "Vuforia View app" from Vuforia..

In other words: Can i generate an experience with an external program, and host the experience data and its linked image files on my own server and let the "Vuforia View app" load from my server?

jmikesell
15-Moonstone

In Studio you can enter any image URL in the "Resource" field for the 3D Image widget, it can seem like that is only a drop down box of your uploaded resources by you can type into it.

2019-01-07 08_34_49-Design - Vuforia Studio.png

As for changing out the images you are going to have to figure out the Select 2D widget and probably write some JavaScript code.

As a word of warning you can not change the height and width value of a 3D Image during an experience. However you can change the scale of the object. So you are going to need to make all of your images the same aspect ratio say, you can pad out the images with transparent background and that will be respected in Studio.

As for the server question you can only use View and Studio against a PTC Experience server. You can host this on premises or PTC will host it for you on their could. But either way you are going to need to pay the licence fees. The simplicity of Studio and PTC maintaining View on 3 OSs is what you are paying for. You can probably do what you want for close to free but you will need to write your device apps from scratch. If you can do what you want in Studio (in your case you can) then you can deploy a solution in Studio in a few weeks or you could spend months or maybe a year to do it all on your own

hub2000
5-Regular Member

Hello,

thanks for your comments.

For some reasons i cannot get it to work with the external link: The small preview is there but after pressing "return" or "enter" no image is inserted into the scene. (Chrome and firefox). When i hit enter, the topmost ressource image is taken, not the link.preview.jpg

jmikesell
15-Moonstone

You are correct and I would call this a bug and maybe @tmccombie can make a ticket for it. If you hit enter after pasting in your URL it will pick the top value in the resource list but if you paste the URL in and then just click somewhere else on the page it will take the value.

hub2000
5-Regular Member

Hello,

Ok, done, sent her a message.

Last question: The "select widget" (and others) is not available in my studio, will it be available when i switch to a paid version?

Hubertus

jmikesell
15-Moonstone

There is no difference between the trial and paid version. You are switching to the 2D view in Studio right? This will change the available widgets and other stuff. This is done via the 2D/3D toggle at the top of the view window.

hub2000
5-Regular Member

Hello,

there is a bit of a problem with PTC:

- I am willing to buy a license, but my simple question cannot be answered from sales person, and since 1 week there is no more reaction. So perhaps any body could answer the following question:

I do not understand the difference between classic plan and cloud plan regarding the point "Cloud Database":

Can I store experiences on PTC server, which are including pictures (not image recognition) ? Or is this only possible with the cloud plan version?

- The support case you mentioned: i wrote a message to but also there no reply or fix of the problem

Do you have an idea how to proceed here?

brg Hubertus

jmikesell
15-Moonstone

I agree that there needs to be a loot more support from PTC on this board so users are not answering licensing questions.

As for your hosing question the premises vs. cloud is only for hosting of the Experience Server (ES). This is the server that you publish experiences to and that View communicates with to retrieve the experiences. If you take the route of putting all your images in the experience they would be severed from this ES, however I don't recommend this route as load time could be a problem. If you go the route of having View pull your images from a URL you will need to provide the hosting for these images regardless of where your ES is hosted. These images just need to be publicly accessible on the internet, this could be anything from Google Photos to a dedicated web server, the amount of traffic will drive this choice.

dupatel
19-Tanzanite

@hub2000 Sorry to hear about the delay in response to your query.  Regarding the question: Can I store experiences on PTC server, which are including pictures (not image recognition) ? Or is this only possible with the cloud plan version?

With the cloud plan, you can definitely save the images & experiences on PTC hosted cloud server. With the On-premise Experience Service(ES) setup the project experiences/images are stored on customer ES server and these files will not be allowed or saved on PTC cloud server.

Hope it helps.

-Durgesh

Top Tags