cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

I'm importing a .wrl file into Creo Illustrate. After the import I observe that the model has been scaled up almost 1000 times. For eg. When I measure the model in NX, it is 2000mm but in Creo it is 2000 metres. Why is it getting resized ? And the model c

ckariappa
1-Newbie

I'm importing a .wrl file into Creo Illustrate. After the import I observe that the model has been scaled up almost 1000 times. For eg. When I measure the model in NX, it is 2000mm but in Creo it is 2000 metres. Why is it getting resized ? And the model c

I'm importing a .wrl file into Creo Illustrate. After the import I observe that the model has been scaled up almost 1000 times. For eg. When I measure the model in NX, it is 2000mm but in Creo it is 2000 metres. Why is it getting resized ? And the model continues to be too big in ThingWorx Studio as well. Please help. Are there any properties to be set before importing a file into Creo ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sdidier
17-Peridot
(To:ckariappa)

Hello Kariappa,

I have checked in NX 10 by building a simple Part file with a pavement shape.

The Units used is the Millimeters in the New dialogbox.

Then I exported into .VRML file format by using the menu File > Export > VRML.

A VRML file is in text format, so, we can open it in a text editor as Notepad++.

I didn't find a line who refers to millimeter or the unit used.

So we can conclude that the 3D standard unit used.

I mean, an unit who don't refers to millimeters, meters or imperial units.

For example, in NX, the one 3D unit is egal to one millimeter.

So, the pavement has a size of 125 units who it means 125 mm.

When exporting to .vrml format, the cube still has a size of 125 units.

But it doesn't refer to millimeters.

When importing in Creo View or in Creo Illustrate, one 3D unit egal to 1 meter.

So the 3D doesn't have the same unit between NX and Creo View or Creo Illustrate.

In Creo View when using in the Markup tab, the Envelope tool, we can check that :

So, I guess the solution might be to export in step or iges file format instead.

It is a common used in industrial business to exchange data and take care of the real unit.

I am not able to check that in my workstation because step export doesn't work in NX.

Best regards,

Samuel

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
sdidier
17-Peridot
(To:ckariappa)

Hello Kariappa,

I have checked in NX 10 by building a simple Part file with a pavement shape.

The Units used is the Millimeters in the New dialogbox.

Then I exported into .VRML file format by using the menu File > Export > VRML.

A VRML file is in text format, so, we can open it in a text editor as Notepad++.

I didn't find a line who refers to millimeter or the unit used.

So we can conclude that the 3D standard unit used.

I mean, an unit who don't refers to millimeters, meters or imperial units.

For example, in NX, the one 3D unit is egal to one millimeter.

So, the pavement has a size of 125 units who it means 125 mm.

When exporting to .vrml format, the cube still has a size of 125 units.

But it doesn't refer to millimeters.

When importing in Creo View or in Creo Illustrate, one 3D unit egal to 1 meter.

So the 3D doesn't have the same unit between NX and Creo View or Creo Illustrate.

In Creo View when using in the Markup tab, the Envelope tool, we can check that :

So, I guess the solution might be to export in step or iges file format instead.

It is a common used in industrial business to exchange data and take care of the real unit.

I am not able to check that in my workstation because step export doesn't work in NX.

Best regards,

Samuel

Hallo Samuel,

Thanks a lot for your quick response. . I tried with .stp file and it doesn't resize.

BR,

Chirag

Top Tags