cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Minimum/maximum dimensions of a marker

DWAR
2-Guest

Minimum/maximum dimensions of a marker

Hi, 

In my understanding it is very important to scale the marker in vuforia view with the real printed marker. so if my marker is 10 cm it need to be 0.1 width in vuforia studio.

But what is the minimum and maximum cm the real printed marker can have?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jmikesell
15-Moonstone
(To:DWAR)

PTC will say that the min marked width is something huge like 100mm. However in practice this can be a lot smaller. We are shipping product with marks at 25mm and 30mm width. However we are not using these for tracking just links to projects and then model tracking for the experiences. If you want to track of the mark then the mark will need to be large enough for the camera to resolve it as you step back to view the experience.

The only limit we have found on the minimum is the ability of your device to focus close to the mark. View wants to see the mark at a certain size in the camera so with a tiny mark and some device you can't focus at this distance and View will not pick the mark up. Older iPads seem to be very bad at this, other than that the 25-30mm marks seem to be very compatible.

Although I have not tried i don't think there would be a max on marker width.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jmikesell
15-Moonstone
(To:DWAR)

PTC will say that the min marked width is something huge like 100mm. However in practice this can be a lot smaller. We are shipping product with marks at 25mm and 30mm width. However we are not using these for tracking just links to projects and then model tracking for the experiences. If you want to track of the mark then the mark will need to be large enough for the camera to resolve it as you step back to view the experience.

The only limit we have found on the minimum is the ability of your device to focus close to the mark. View wants to see the mark at a certain size in the camera so with a tiny mark and some device you can't focus at this distance and View will not pick the mark up. Older iPads seem to be very bad at this, other than that the 25-30mm marks seem to be very compatible.

Although I have not tried i don't think there would be a max on marker width.

When PTC first showed off Studio at LiveWorx 2016, they had a ThingMark that was about 1m wide on the floor that they used to show the Caterpillar generator.  You can see it in the video here: The Power of the Platform - LiveWorx 16.  I'm guessing this was to make sure that the View app didn't lose sight of the ThingMark and lose tracking.

These days, you would just use a Spatial Target and drop the model onto the floor.

Top Tags