cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Model target having problems with reflective product

jandersen
6-Contributor

Model target having problems with reflective product

I have a physical product (a water faucet) that has a highly reflective surface. When using model target the tracking is not very good. It "pops" out of place very often. Does anybody know if something can be done to prevent this?

What I was thing was to use model target in combination with spatial target. After the experience has been place correct using model target a botton "locks" it in place much like placing the experience using spatial target. Now the model target will not try to track anymore and the experience is placed correct. I know this is not currently an option but it would work nicely.

Using a thingmark is not an option.

2 REPLIES 2
jmikesell
15-Moonstone
(To:jandersen)

I have had similar struggles with an all lack product. While not shinny it also lacks detectable edges when it is all black on black.

My method to improve this was to add in stuff that is not directly related to my experience. So for your example is the faucet mounted to a sink or other fixture? If so add in a 3D model of the sink or anything else with a fixed location to the faucet. This should help with tracking.

As for visibility of this extra tracking geometry you can either hide it with model items or my preferred method is to create a separate model that you use only for tracking. So this would have you faucet and the kitchen sink in it. Make it's visibility false and then create a second model with just your faucet in it. Just adjust the ordinates so both models are aligned.

jandersen
6-Contributor
(To:jmikesell)

That's a good idea and it i guess it would work okay.

Unfortunately it has to detect the water facet only as it is intended for the company that makes the water facets. It would be used by their costumers to help with the maintenance.

Top Tags