Did you mean: 

Model targets

SOLVED

Model targets

HI, is there any chance to use Vuforia model target option in Thingworx Studio

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Model targets

Today we got the option to create model targets . Need some examples and help files to use the option effectively.

15 REPLIES 15

Hello, Thadeus.

I'm locating a resource in the ThingWorx Studio team who can help you with this.

Thank you,

-- Craig A.

Is there any update?

Regards,

Thadeus.D

Is there any update on this? 4 months later and I am looking for this too...

Thadeus Devasagayamhmckee​: Tracking an object based on its 3D model is something Work in Progress and we anticipate releasing this capability sometime in the first quarter of 2018.

-Durgesh

Today we got the option to create model targets . Need some examples and help files to use the option effectively.

you can try it out - what examples and help files are needed ?

Martin

I am trying now. Need some more time to locate the physical component. Probably another few more days.

Regards,

Thadeus.D

I did a quick test with an existing project, and it was pretty easy to replace the original thingmark with a model target. Scanning is a little on the futzy side, it takes a steady hand and a little time to get it to lock on, but once it does it works pretty slick.

On my Android phone, I'm having an issue with the experience displaying upside down when using a model target. I think this might be related to a quirk of the camera on my phone (Nexus 5x), because I've had a similar problem with general camera apps on this phone. Strangely, it doesn't seem to affect regular thingmark-based experiences. But it works very nicely on iOS 11 (iPad pro).

For anyone who's interested, here's the procedure I used:

In Thingworx Studio:

1) Open an experience that you want to switch to model-based tracking

2) Remove any existing thingmark in the experience, and set "thingmark association" to "none" in Experiences window

3) In the 3D Home screen, add a modelTarget widget to your model

4) In "Model Target Details" on the right, there will be a rectangle labeled "Detect Position", initially with a gray X in it. Click there.

5) Set the angle from which the user will scan the object to initiate tracking (usually the front), and click Save

6) Save and Publish the experience

In your Thingworx View app:

1) Open the app, tap the library icon (like a stack of cards)

2) Switch to the library view (icon looks like books on a shelf)

3) Find the experience with the title matching what you just published.

a) In iOS, I could just tap on that title directly to start the experience

b) In Android, I had to create a bookmark first, and then switch to the bookmarks view and select it there

4) You should now see a white outline of your model. Point the camera at the real object so that it matches the white outline as closely as possible. This will take a bit of adjusting, both distance and angle, to get it right. Once you get the right angle and distance for a good match, you'll need to hold it steady for a few seconds. When it acquires the tracking, your virtual model should appear in the experience.

5) From here you should be in good shape, ready to play any sequences or any other kinds of interactions you've defined for your experience. You should be able to move around the physical object (keeping it in the camera view) and have the experience maintain the tracking on it.