cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Problems with ThingMark depth in HoloLens experiences

AllanThompson
16-Pearl

Problems with ThingMark depth in HoloLens experiences

Hi All,

I'm getting some weird problems with experiences created for the HoloLens.  When I launch the ThingWorx View app from HoloLens, I scan the ThingMark and the experience loads, but the problem is that View has decided that the ThingMark that I scanned is behind/below where the ThingMark is actually placed in the real world.  So for example, I put the ThingMark on the floor and scan it, but when I see the tracking indicator for the ThingMark (the green hexagon) it's below the level of the floor rather that running around the printed marker. So when the 3D geometry loads, it's also down inside the floor and I'm looking at it from above.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,

Allan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

What size did you set the ThingMark width to in Studio?  How wide is the ThingMark you printed?  Those must be exactly the same size. The width of the printed ThingMark is measured horizontally from the outside of the left vertical black stripe to the outside of the right vertical black stripe. Take that measurement and convert to meters, this is the value you need to enter in the ThingMark width property (in studio, the ThingMark width property is in meters) .

Also, wherever you placed the ThingMark in Studio, the printed ThingMark needs to be in the exact same location in the real world.  This can be difficult to do and takes some trial and error to get aligned correctly.  Once those two things are done, the hologram will be aligned correctly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

What size did you set the ThingMark width to in Studio?  How wide is the ThingMark you printed?  Those must be exactly the same size. The width of the printed ThingMark is measured horizontally from the outside of the left vertical black stripe to the outside of the right vertical black stripe. Take that measurement and convert to meters, this is the value you need to enter in the ThingMark width property (in studio, the ThingMark width property is in meters) .

Also, wherever you placed the ThingMark in Studio, the printed ThingMark needs to be in the exact same location in the real world.  This can be difficult to do and takes some trial and error to get aligned correctly.  Once those two things are done, the hologram will be aligned correctly.

Hi Rusty,

My mistake.  I'm used to the Tablet based apps where you can cheat the scale by printing at a different size to the experience.  Once I made them match, it's fine.

Thanks for your help.

Allan

hello, the same thing happens to me, I create a studio project for hololens and add a thingmark, when scanning it the model appears in front of the thingmark, why does this happen? I add project and video, I hope you can help me. thanks for your help

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CzTFa5SsLLgCS5Bq3SaXF4BM3JNPzaU4/view?usp=sharing

For whatever reason I can't see your video, but when I load up your experience, it works fine.  The main thing is that you must have the ThingMark printed 20cm wide as that's what you've defined in the experience.  If you just try looking at it off the screen and it's not the right size, then the model will appear in the wrong position.

Based on what you're showing, I'd suggest that you could just use a Spatial Target instead.  Then you can just place the model on a flat surface and you don't need a ThingMark at all.

do you have a email for send video? 

Top Tags