cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

SolidWorks assembly file (.sldasm) in Vuforia Studio?

jfrancesb
3-Visitor

SolidWorks assembly file (.sldasm) in Vuforia Studio?

Hi PTC Community,

I have added a SolidWorks assembly file (.sldasm) as my Model resource in Vuforia Studio, but the 3D model is not generating. Is it possible for me to use this .sldasm without incorporating any SolidWorks parts files (.sldprt)? Please advise.

Cheers,

Jane

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sdidier
17-Peridot
(To:jfrancesb)

Hello Jane,

I have checked a simple Assembly model with 2 Components made in SolidWorks 2017.

Importing Assembly is working but no 3D model is visible in the 3D View.

in Creo View when opening the pvz file generated in the Project folder, %USER%\Documents\VuforiaStudio\Projects\"My test project name"\src\phone\resources\Uploaded

No 3D data is visible also.

I don't have this problem when importing sldpart files.

In the log of Vuforia Studio, I have an error reported when importing the SLDASM file.

sw2pvdirect Error:1: Failed to get model handle for [rect-1] [D:\Temp\rect.SLDPRT]sw2pvdirect Error:1: Failed to get model handle for [rond-1] [D:\Temp\rond.SLDPRT]COMPLETE

Do you have a similar error message reported in your use case ?

By the way, an Assembly file doesn't have geometry.

It just contains positions of Parts.

Parts have geometries.

The workarounds that I am seeing are :

1) Create a shinkwrap of the Assembly file into a new Part file.

More details here :

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/211676

2) Try to convert manually CAO Shell Tool provided in Vuforia Studio.

But I guess, we will have the same results.

Try to change the recipe settings file can be paintfull.

So, this is why I don't recommand this way.

3) Try in another third party format.

In Solidworks, export in stl or iges file format and import into Vuforia Studio.

Cheers,

Samuel

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
sdidier
17-Peridot
(To:jfrancesb)

Hello Jane,

I have checked a simple Assembly model with 2 Components made in SolidWorks 2017.

Importing Assembly is working but no 3D model is visible in the 3D View.

in Creo View when opening the pvz file generated in the Project folder, %USER%\Documents\VuforiaStudio\Projects\"My test project name"\src\phone\resources\Uploaded

No 3D data is visible also.

I don't have this problem when importing sldpart files.

In the log of Vuforia Studio, I have an error reported when importing the SLDASM file.

sw2pvdirect Error:1: Failed to get model handle for [rect-1] [D:\Temp\rect.SLDPRT]sw2pvdirect Error:1: Failed to get model handle for [rond-1] [D:\Temp\rond.SLDPRT]COMPLETE

Do you have a similar error message reported in your use case ?

By the way, an Assembly file doesn't have geometry.

It just contains positions of Parts.

Parts have geometries.

The workarounds that I am seeing are :

1) Create a shinkwrap of the Assembly file into a new Part file.

More details here :

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/211676

2) Try to convert manually CAO Shell Tool provided in Vuforia Studio.

But I guess, we will have the same results.

Try to change the recipe settings file can be paintfull.

So, this is why I don't recommand this way.

3) Try in another third party format.

In Solidworks, export in stl or iges file format and import into Vuforia Studio.

Cheers,

Samuel

Hello @jfrancesb , 

I think there is one principle question-  when you have only a .sldasm model – is it  possible to display it with geometry in Soldiworks without having the (.sldprt) ->  I do not believe that this will work. I am actually not expert in Solidworks but have experience in Creo Parametric - there this will be not possible and I believe , that  we will have the same situation also in Solidworks.

One option in Creo Parameric will allow on assembly level to create some feature merging part geometry from the parts and  the creation of kind of shrink-wraps. May be some kind of such operation are possible also in Solidworks, but of course, this should be done first in the CAD system.

@sdidier @RolandRaytchev Many thanks for the replies! It sounds like you both have confirmed that the SolidWorks assembly file alone is insufficient for use in Vuforia. I have reached out to the vendor that provided the 3D model in hopes of receiving an alternate file type (.obj, .stl, or the SolidWorks parts).

Best,

Jane

Top Tags