cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

ThingMark Association: thing template

whity
16-Pearl

ThingMark Association: thing template

Hi Folks, 

under Configuraton > Experiences you can set the thingmark assosciation to "tingmarks" (standard) or to "thing template". Does anybody know what this is good for? How can you use this? I know, that it has something to do with thing worx but I couldn't find any detailed info. 

Greetings

whity

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @whity,

The idea of the Thing Template is so that you can create a single AR experience for multiple IoT enabled Things that all have the same geometry.  

Say you have 5 machines that are all the same but you want to view the live IoT data for each of them.  Each of the machines will be represented by a Thing in ThingWorx that is built from a Thing Template.  Within each Thing, you'll specify the ThingMark that is uses so the idea is that I can walk up to any machine, scan it's unique ThingMark and then I'll see the same experience for each machine, but showing the IoT data for the specific machine.

I didn't really understand this myself until I did the AR class from PTC that you can do for free in PTC University.  You can take the class here: Fundamentals of AR Development with Vuforia Studio

Cheers,

Allan

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi @whity,

The idea of the Thing Template is so that you can create a single AR experience for multiple IoT enabled Things that all have the same geometry.  

Say you have 5 machines that are all the same but you want to view the live IoT data for each of them.  Each of the machines will be represented by a Thing in ThingWorx that is built from a Thing Template.  Within each Thing, you'll specify the ThingMark that is uses so the idea is that I can walk up to any machine, scan it's unique ThingMark and then I'll see the same experience for each machine, but showing the IoT data for the specific machine.

I didn't really understand this myself until I did the AR class from PTC that you can do for free in PTC University.  You can take the class here: Fundamentals of AR Development with Vuforia Studio

Cheers,

Allan

Thanks Allan, got it! I think this is quite an important feature.

Top Tags